Brisbane Waters

austral

hello all, went for a fish this arternoon and after a failed flathead hunt i decided to fish my usual mullet spot.

i set the bereley up and had thefish around in about half an hour.

the mullet were quiet but the garfish were around in big numbers, all up 11 garfish and two mullet, plus plenty of dropped fish and missed hookups..

also got bitten of by some large tailor that were well and truly legal..

post-10279-099096300 1288092776_thumb.jpg

post-10279-081971600 1288092805_thumb.jpg

hello all, went for a fish this arternoon and after a failed flathead hunt i decided to fish my usual mullet spot.

i set the bereley up and had thefish around in about half an hour.

the mullet were quiet but the garfish were around in big numbers, all up 11 garfish and two mullet, plus plenty of dropped fish and missed hookups..

also got bitten of by some large tailor that were well and truly legal..

post-10279-099096300 1288092776_thumb.jpg

post-10279-081971600 1288092805_thumb.jpg

well done

Hey Austral,

I was fishing the bay on Saturday and I found a big school of garfish as well.

I have never fished for them but I remembered what I had to do.

I caught 7 of them but left them in search of my usual quarry.

Now I fried them (never eaten them before) and they are very nice......except

I was told the bones are all edible (except the backbone) but I found this to be somewhat untrue.

The rib cage bones were very fine and brittle making them easy to crunch and eat but there was at least 2 or 3 of the rib cage bones which were still sharp and could still cause a problem.

For this reason I will not catch them in future for food, unless someone can tell me how to debone them...

Someone told me about a technique years ago whereby the fish is rolled with a bottle to do something to the bones - I just can't remember the details......

Tony

Hey Austral,

I was fishing the bay on Saturday and I found a big school of garfish as well.

I have never fished for them but I remembered what I had to do.

I caught 7 of them but left them in search of my usual quarry.

Now I fried them (never eaten them before) and they are very nice......except

I was told the bones are all edible (except the backbone) but I found this to be somewhat untrue.

The rib cage bones were very fine and brittle making them easy to crunch and eat but there was at least 2 or 3 of the rib cage bones which were still sharp and could still cause a problem.

For this reason I will not catch them in future for food, unless someone can tell me how to debone them...

Someone told me about a technique years ago whereby the fish is rolled with a bottle to do something to the bones - I just can't remember the details......

Tony

Tony , the best way to eat them is to just roll the fillets with a rolling pin , one of the best fish in the sea

If the garfish are big enough, you can fillet them with a long fillet knife. With each fillet, carefully cut out the rib bones. That is why I use a long knife, because it will remove the bones and leave the flesh behind. You will need a few practice runs to perfect the de-boning. Once perfected, you will have a small but bone free fillet. Pan fry in a little olive oil and you have one of the best eating fish there is. My grandfather use to roll them with a milk bottle to break up the back bone, fry them until crispy and crunch them up (minus head and bones of course)

Yowie.