Pesky Birds Stealing My Bait..how To Get Rid?

elite

hi raiders..

anyone know how to get rid of those birds (humanely ;P) that is always hanging around my live bait under my float???

not sure what they're called, but they are black/brown, half pigeon half seagull looking....and not scared of coming close to humans either..

they're so ANNOYING!!

cheers!

I think the birds you are reffering to are commonly known as Mutton birds.

Tip a bit of tuna oil onto the water. The hate it & won't swim through it or go anywhere near the oil film.

The other option is to throw a few scraps of bait on the opposite side of your bait to distract them when throwing your your line in.

Geoff

hi raiders..

anyone know how to get rid of those birds (humanely ;P) that is always hanging around my live bait under my float???

not sure what they're called, but they are black/brown, half pigeon half seagull looking....and not scared of coming close to humans either..

they're so ANNOYING!!

cheers!

Maybe a filthy mutton bird?

hard to say without a pic. Ive heard of people splashing a bit of tuna oil out the back on top of the burley trail to deter them from coming in 2 close. (not sure how this would affect them/envirnoment

but i know how frustrating they can be :ranting2:

yep, mutton birds.

great, i'll try the tuna oil close.

how about when i have a livie out far from the boat, these birds are smart and spot the float, then dives down to grab the livie

soooooo annoying!!! :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2:

Ive had the exact same problem last week. Its so annoying. You cast your pillie out. Sometimes they catch it in mid air or they grab it as soon as it touches the water, OR they take it when ur retrieving your line. Ive actually hooked one in its mouth. Most irritating and discomforting time trying to get the hook out of its mouth without hurting it. They are always around and I guess you just gota distract them somehow.

There is no way you can stop them,even putting a sinker on

won't stop them getting the bait.

when we where fishing for a living,they were in plague proportions.Mongrels come all the way from siberia

"mutton birds".they will dive down out of sight to get bait,the only way we could stop them

was with a oar.

hook one of the things and they cried like a baby.

Edited by rickb

with an "oar"!!?? haha.....

very true, hard to get rid off them as i tried fishing livie on the bottom, distracting them and secretly drop livie in close so they wont see...but they are very smart!!!

i might have to resort to the "oar"!! hahahaha

with an "oar"!!?? haha.....

very true, hard to get rid off them as i tried fishing livie on the bottom, distracting them and secretly drop livie in close so they wont see...but they are very smart!!!

i might have to resort to the "oar"!! hahahaha

Make sure you guys dont get seen doing this. as i dont think its very legal..

but in saying that, they are pesky, esp when drifting around the fads etc.

Apparently if you sprinkle chilli powder on the water it stops them and seals, as they dont like to dive in chilli ?

I never tried it, i just end up using a small sinker, and dropping the bait over the side.. i have had a few baits caught and brought to the surface by them, but i guess its all part of the game.

maybe you can get some feather dusters to scare them off, like gulls on moored boats?

i would also love to know how to be rid of them, just not game to get my oar all bloody haha