Dead Birds Washing Up On Wollongong Beaches.

Stippy

Hey guys,

Over the past few days I've noticed more and more dead Mutton birds (I think) washing up on the beaches of the Northern suburbs of Wollongong (Thirroul, Bulli etc). Today there were hundreds along the stretch of Thirroul beach. Any idea what could cause this? My first thought was that perhaps they got caught out in a storm, but given the number of them I'm wondering if perhaps there's something in the water? People are still reporting good catches around the area so this doesn't seem too likely.

Very curious,

Adam.

Most migratory birds that get caught up in strong head winds that have been travelling for a while have this happen to them it's quite common... they just get tired and cant fly or swim and drown while others are so exhausted they are dead before they hit the water.

no need to stress... just keep and eye out if there are literally hundreds on the beach i wouldnt advise swimming there cause the sharks wont be far behind an easy meal like that

Hi all,

Noted quite a few dead birds Friday out to sea off south head and the colours. Lucky there wasn't more as they were a real pain in the proverbial. For awhile we couldn't even get a bait in the water without them diving down and stealing the bait. We had to bring one on board that got hooked. Little bugger bit and scratched me but we managed to set him free unharmed with a quick feed he was very happy. After that we couldn't get rid of him.

Mike

I saw something about this on the news last week. The birds have had a tough migration this year, due to some big typhoons across asia. So they are literally dropping out of the sky with exhaustion before they make their final destination...