Surface Action At Woolooware Bay

mako1

Earlier in the week I went out and purchased some of the new Berkley 3B lures.

The plan was to do a bit of surface fishing in the morning if the wind wasn’t to strong

and then troll around when the wind picks up.

I hit the flats armed with a pop dog and a scum dog both in the hooch colour.

The first drift produced a few swirls but no direct hits.

On the second drift the pop dog disappeared in a big swirl and line started peeling off the reel.

This was a good fish and after a top fight in shallow water I netted a beautiful whiting.

post-2229-018972900 1288436402_thumb.jpg

I continued with the drift and picked up some small tailor. There were heaps of tailor around today and they were continually hitting the poppers. I even managed to get two tailor on the popper.

post-2229-088445700 1288436634_thumb.jpg

I started another drift and on the first cast I finally had a good hit from a bream.

It fought really well for its size but I soon had him in the net and after a quick photo he was back in the water.

post-2229-059871300 1288436410_thumb.jpg

A few casts later I could see a dark shape chasing the lure and after another pop it smashed the lure.

It was another good whiting which took me all over the flats before I was able to net it.

This fish wasn’t the longest but it was really thick across the shoulders.

post-2229-050841300 1288436627_thumb.jpg

I continued drifting and found a patch of large pike. Although they aren’t a highly regarded fish they provided some great surface action. The pike were fully launching themselves out of the water when hitting the popper. I didn’t end up hooking any but it was great to watch.

I even had a long tom have a go at the popper.

The tide had changed and was on the way in so I made my way to a section of flats that was ankle deep. I tied on the scum dog and worked the edges of the weed beds. I landed a few smaller whiting

and then the scum dog was snatched off the surface by a good whiting and the hooks held this time and another good whiting was on the yak.

post-2229-026311900 1288436642_thumb.jpg

The fishing shut down after that whiting and the tide was getting higher so I moved to the back of the bay to fish the rock piles. The water was quite discoloured so the fishing was slow but I did get a few small whiting and lost a big whiting. I also had a few hits from bream but they were only small fish.

By this stage the wind had increased quite a bit so I made my way back to the launch site.

It was great to finally get a few fish on surface lures. I can’t wait to get back out there again.

post-2229-089947500 1288436659_thumb.jpg

love your work mako

hope you have been well

i have to take up lessons on this surface fishing lol

Thanks CJ.

We'll have to go for a fish soon and try and get you a few on surface lures.

Top fun on surface lures, Mako. Some great fish by the look of the pics... 2 at a time is just showing off though :biggrin2: Great read.

Cheers, Slinky

I'll have to add a treble to the front of the popper and try for three next time :biggrin2:

Excellent report Mako and it is great to see the surface bite starting up in WB....how good are those whiting on surface lure :thumbup: . Two fish on the one lure is getting a little greedy though :biggrin2:

Those whiting are great fighters on the flats. They pull quite a bit of drag and change direction so quickly. Lots of fun.

Awesome report again Andrewthumbup.gif

Good to see the surface action is starting to turn on again.

There's some nice whiting there and that fish does look fat.

I like the look of those poppers good colour but how long are they?

beersmile.gifBrad

Awesome report again Andrewthumbup.gif

Good to see the surface action is starting to turn on again.

There's some nice whiting there and that fish does look fat.

I like the look of those poppers good colour but how long are they?

beersmile.gifBrad

The pop dog is 65mm.

The scum dog is 48mm.

Click on the Berkley banner at the top and you can see the full colour range.

Hey Mako nice catch there looks like you had a great day.Just out of curiosity the scum dog you

were using what was the weight ? On the website they are advertised as 3.7 gms but i saw some in

the shop and they were 2.5gms way to light for me.Wondered if they came in 2 sizes.

cheers...........Roy