Motor Doesnt Start

locodave

Hi guys!

Yesterday took the boat out and there were no problems at all. Got back home left it for 4 hrs before i had a chance to clean it. Went to start the motor and it didnt fire up. 

Last night i left the boat tilted up, and on my steep driveway. So i thought maybe i blocked something. So i put it back on level ground and left it over night with the motor down. 

Go this morning and it didnt start again. But i realised my cabin led lights and my dash lights seemed a bit dim. Would it be possible that it doesnt have enought cranking power to fire up the motor? The starter motor works but just doesnt turn over. Could it be the battery?

Hi guys!

Yesterday took the boat out and there were no problems at all. Got back home left it for 4 hrs before i had a chance to clean it. Went to start the motor and it didnt fire up. 

Last night i left the boat tilted up, and on my steep driveway. So i thought maybe i blocked something. So i put it back on level ground and left it over night with the motor down. 

Go this morning and it didnt start again. But i realised my cabin led lights and my dash lights seemed a bit dim. Would it be possible that it doesnt have enought cranking power to fire up the motor? The starter motor works but just doesnt turn over. Could it be the battery?

Sounds likely..

Musty

Even if there is enogh power in the battery to crank the motor over does not mean that it will have enough to start the motor as I have had the experience before where the starter motor was taking all the battery power and not enough was remaining to allow the ignition to fire.

If your got the motor turning over,it sure ain't the battery.

yeh maybe with older motors but with the modern 4strokes even with a motor turning over it doesn't mean it will start

had this problem with my 50hp yamaha 4stroke kids left the radio on in the boat but all seemed fine as the motor was turning over so down to the river we went with a motor the was turning over fine enoght we thought but wouldn't start

took it back to the dealer pretty upset thinking something was wrong with the motor, he put it on charge over night and the next day when i went it he turned it over and starght away it came to life

wasn't untill then i reliase the sound diffrent between the sound of it cranking over the day before and then one was alot slower then after the charge it was like it had a rocket on the starter it was that much faster

Mate i went through the same ordeal,and yep the battery strength plays a big part for start up on the older motors,i had tryed to start on rather flat battery would turn fly wheel but would not fire,then recharged battery and boom,away she went,i was evn advised dont know how true it is but the volt difference you put out with a semi flat battery can also damage your stator+coils or power pack dont know how true but better safe then sorry,good luck buddy,

Mate i went through the same ordeal,and yep the battery strength plays a big part for start up on the older motors,i had tryed to start on rather flat battery would turn fly wheel but would not fire,then recharged battery and boom,away she went,i was evn advised dont know how true it is but the volt difference you put out with a semi flat battery can also damage your stator+coils or power pack dont know how true but better safe then sorry,good luck buddy,

Hey Coasty you just reminded me back in 80's we use to do power pack all the time,was pretty dear,until we got a queensland bloke that could repair and re seal them.

Regards Rick.

Hey Coasty you just reminded me back in 80's we use to do power pack all the time,was pretty dear,until we got a queensland bloke that could repair and re seal them.

Regards Rick.

I went through two and replaced several coils on an old evinrude,got sick of it and just got myself a 2010 70hp tohatsu,couldnt justify spending any more on the old girl.

hahaha at least i now know there are others out there not so differant to myself, to funny but dont worry you will never do it again it will be the first thing you check from now on when she does not start