Daiwa Saltist For Spinning Setup?

shortie

Hi Everybody,

i'm in the market soon for a setup for spinning lures, hard body lures and poppers.

ATM i have my eye on the Daiwa Saltist, they have two models 4500 and 6500 would the 4500 be better for what i wanna do? main fish i will be targeting are kingies and what ever takes my lures n etc.

Also can someone recommend me a rod, as im not sure what rod and size to get and my budget would be between $100 - $300 the cheaper the better but if it's within my budget im happy.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers Daniel

Edited by Shortie

Hi Everybody,

i'm in the market soon for a setup for spinning lures, hard body lures and poppers.

ATM i have my eye on the Daiwa Saltist, they have two models 4500 and 6500 would the 4500 be better for what i wanna do? main fish i will be targeting are kingies and what ever takes my lures n etc.

Also can someone recommend me a rod aswell as im not sure what rod and size to get, budget would be $100 - $300 the cheaper the better but if it's within my budget im happy.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers Daniel

I was just looking at the saltist a few days ago and thinking i would replace my old set up with that soon. At the moment i spin with an old TSS4 Speedmaster. Its got sentimental value really but were the best back in their time.

With the saltist it really depends on the size of ur rod. Ideally u want the smaller model as you would know sumtimes u'll be casting away for HOURS on end.

For good cheap off the rack rods have a look at the old Silstar PowerTip models if they are around otherwise up the budget a tiny bit and find sumthing like a Wilson live fibre

Musty

The saltist is an awesome reel to spin with. I recommend the 4500 because the 6500 is just too big and heavy. In regards to the rod, If your looking for something light and strong and sexy, go the daiwa seajigger 325. You should be able to pick one up for 300.

I've got the saltist 4500 and it is a fairly big reel for spinning all day. I've also got the seajigger and it is a very light rod. the two don't really balance very well. I've got the saltist on the silstar crystal blue 8-12kg 10foot and I've got the seajigger with a stradic 4000fi. hope that helps.

ok so i went out and bought a Penn Spinfisher Big Game 10ft rod today so i can use to spin, love it it's so light and have heard good things about it and was also cheap too.

now i'm not sure what reel to get, can someone recommend me a reel or should i stick with original idea of getting the saltist 4500?

this setup will be mainly for spinning as i have a shimano baitrunner for bait fishing and live baiting.

butget for a reel is between $250 to $350

any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

cheers Daniel

ok so i went out and bought a Penn Spinfisher Big Game 10ft rod today so i can use to spin, love it it's so light and have heard good things about it and was also cheap too.

now i'm not sure what reel to get, can someone recommend me a reel or should i stick with original idea of getting the saltist 4500?

this setup will be mainly for spinning as i have a shimano baitrunner for bait fishing and live baiting.

butget for a reel is between $250 to $350

any help will be appreciated. thanks in advance.

cheers Daniel

The Penn spinfisher is a great rod. Nice and light. I agree that the saltist is a bit heavy if your spinning all day. You should have a look at the Daiwa TD SOL 4000. I use it to spin as well. Made in Japan, decent gear speed, light. In your budget as well.

Yeah mate go the 4500 saltist, I own a 6500 saltist and it is way to heavy to be spinning for long periods. Get the 4500 and load him up with some 15-16 lb braid and she will cast a 40gram metal for miles.. Enjoy your combo search, hope we get to see a report with both it and some fish..

can anyone recommend any specific brand of braid for this setup?

im planning on running 40lbs as i already have 20lbs on my light spinning setup as i want this to be my heavier setup

Go the Rovex Viros 30lb or 50lb braid. The viros braid has a very thin diameter so you can fit alot more on.

Yeah mate go the 4500 saltist, I own a 6500 saltist and it is way to heavy to be spinning for long periods. Get the 4500 and load him up with some 15-16 lb braid and she will cast a 40gram metal for miles.. Enjoy your combo search, hope we get to see a report with both it and some fish..

Whoops sorry mate when I suggested 15-16 braid I thought you were gonna spin from the rocks for things like bonito, tailor, big salmon, stripies, and small kings. You are obviously after really big stuff..

can anyone recommend any specific brand of braid for this setup?

im planning on running 40lbs as i already have 20lbs on my light spinning setup as i want this to be my heavier setup

30lb Power pro mate.Or spiderwire.

Great setup its gonna be, u'll be hooking bonnies, kings, salmon and hopefully tuna in no time!

Im replacing my old TSS-4 and will have a very similar combo to u. Love spinning off the rocks i can do it for hours off a good ledge.

Musty

Whoops sorry mate when I suggested 15-16 braid I thought you were gonna spin from the rocks for things like bonito, tailor, big salmon, stripies, and small kings. You are obviously after really big stuff..

all good, yeh have a lighter setup for spinning for smaller fish but this setup is for when i go jervis bay, dont wanna go there with light gear and rather have the right gear to handle the big fish so i dont loose them.

all good, yeh have a lighter setup for spinning for smaller fish but this setup is for when i go jervis bay, dont wanna go there with light gear and rather have the right gear to handle the big fish so i dont loose them.

i too thought you were after the usual bonnies, salmon..but if your using it to go to JB then power pro is really good. I bought some from the states and it's really good stuff.

change of plans with reels, was trying the saltist 4500 with the Penn Spinfisher Big Game 10ft rod and the reels seems abit heavy as the rod is quite light.

I was talked into the daiwa advantage 4000 and bought it, seems to feel real nice with the Penn spinfisher rod and the setup feels nice and light so i wont get tired spinning.

did i make the right choice with this setup? as the shop said I can bring back the reel if i decide to change my mind.

this setup will be spinning for kingies

if anyone can advise if this setup is alright that'll be great.

cheers Daniel

Hey Daniel,

Out of curiosity did you try matching the Spinfisher rod to a Daiwa Oceano 4500J? Lighter than the Saltist but strong to boot and a decent 93cm (from memory) retrieve rate with each turn of the handle. That's what I've got my 11' Spinfisher mated to and use 30lb Tuffline XP braid.

Oceano 4500J

Marty

post-1576-000881900 1288692909_thumb.jpg

Edited by MartyMonsta