Rod + Reel For Salmon, Kings, Tailors

jay83091

Hi Experts,

Hope you are well.

I am doing my research on rods and reels for catching either salmon, kings or Tailors (Mostly Landbased). My budget is around $400. I've been looking through the internet all day but there are so many kinds... it is doing my head in.

What would be the moderate gear settings for catching decent size tailors or salmons?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

James

Edited by Jamesy83091

Hi Experts,

Hope you are well.

I am doing my research on rods and reels for catching either salmon, kings or Tailors (Mostly Landbased). My budget is around $400. I've been looking through the internet all day but there are so many kinds... it is doing my head in.

What would be the moderate gear settings for catching decent size tailors or salmons?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

James

what is your definition of decent size? and where landbased are you fishing? the rocks or jetty?

I use penn 950ssm + 10ft ugly stick, from memory you can get it for $130 the reel and $105 for the rod at a shop

30lb braid

if you fish at the jetty, you can even use bream stick and 2500 reel to catch decent size fish.

caught a decent size australian salmon but you needed the help of a net because you can lift it up.

used slade 2500 and catana

hope that helps

for $400 you can get a stradic and a decent rod

Get a Stradic 5000FI, cost you about $200-$250. Add some Braid to that, probably cost you about $60. Probably get some 20lb line, it should handle most fish quite easily. If you wanna be safe go for 30-40lb line. But you tend to find it harder to cast the distance as well as less fish taking your baits.

You may also want to spend another $20 for some fluorocarbon leader, something about 40lb would be suitable for most fish you're targetting

Then use your remainder of your money to get yourself a nice 7-9 foot rod. Something about the 5-10kg line rating rod (most people call them snapper rods, or general purpose rods). Maybe a starlo stix, Raider II, or a Jewel rod. They should fit nicely within your budget.

I'd go an Abu Soron STX60 or 70 reel with a Pflueger rod like the Asaro, check out Pure Fishing website for specs and lots of other rod/reel setups and call global tackle for a good raider price.

I'm sure slinky will agree with the Soron's also, great reels, I've even got 3 of them.

Edited by Fezza

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Much appreciated.

Now gonna go and do some shopping :) AWESOME!

Have a great day everyone

Cheers

P.s What kind of line should I use? Plus I don't really understand why these rods are ridiculously cheap on online shop?!? is it fake? should I avoid online shop?

James :biggrin2:

Edited by Jamesy83091

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Much appreciated.

Now gonna go and do some shopping :) AWESOME!

Have a great day everyone

Cheers

P.s What kind of line should I use?

James :biggrin2:

it depends, i have seem people catching 70cm kingie in the jetty with 8lb braid

but if you are in the jetty, you can use 8lb and it is good enough

if you are at the rocks, and you use braid, the line gets cut easily, but if u use mono, you have a bit more lean way.

enjoy your new gear