Proud Dad

The Poacher

I hadn't taken the wife and kids out in the boat since April, so with a decent forecast today was the day. It was really just meant to be a run on the water, but I through a few rods in of course. I also grabbed a pack of 4 inch jerk shads on the way to the ramp. Anyway, didn't start fishing until 2 o'clock and the run out was in full force. Set up a drift and just had the kids bumping the jerk shads along the bottom as we drifted (ie no winding). I was just starting to enjoy some crackers when I heard the classic "dad, dad, dad whooaaa, dad", I turned around to see the eggbeater loosing line in bursts. ALLRIGHT I thought here we go. My son was worried it would get away, so he started pu,ping the rod dramatically to teach the fish some kind of lesson. After calming him down he got the fish up, and then I had to step in to boat the fish. The bad news was all I had was a red bait net, you know the ones for catching yakkas in a bait tank. Anyway, I try to net it the first time, and the flathead just swam out of the net. Just then my 4 year old fell in the water and started drifting downstream. So I fished him out, and then got the flatty second go around. 60cm of prime flatty was coming home for dinner. Next drift I thought, I will have a go myself, and pinned a 45cm flatty. Shortly after that, my son was doing the "dad, dad, dad" thing again. This one stayed deeper, and despite him trying to teach it a lesson again, the line held and a school jew came up. It looked fantastic in the water, and I was as pumped as him to get it in the net. Just about 60 too. All came home with big smiles. What a great session, it was probably only an hour long.

Cheers

post-5073-084837000 1289121059_thumb.jpgpost-5073-094273200 1289121096_thumb.jpg

The Poacher

Nice work Steven!! Brownie points and fishing!!

Got mine out on Sunday as well when the weather turned nice! Huge currents!! Couple of blokes in a smallish tinnie drifting off Flint n Steel went past us at a hell of a rate! Could have wake boarded off the back i reckon!

All we managed was a big blind shark! missus thought she had weed, weed doesn't swim off!! Stupid squeaking **&&%%$$!

Anyway catch you this week!!

Cheers

Mike

Thanks, one and all. We were fishing downstream of the RIP bridge, in the main channel, but not in a recognised spot. I only have one "secret" spot in Brisbane Waters, and this is it. All fish were caught on 4" Jerk Shads.

The water was dirty above the RIP bridge, and clean below the RIP bridge.

See you all on the water,

The Poacher.