Sydney Kings

cflife

Great Kings Cflife.

Good effort cflife. What gear were you using, line, hooks rod/reel etc. i want to go out this weekend and dont want a repeat of getting smoked last week on light gear.

JayKay - i would suggest 50lb main line as minimum, possibly 80, and leader anywhere from 60 through to 100++++. I caught some good Kings yesterday to 85cm. I also got smoked by a better fish which there was no way i was going to stop. I was using 80main and 100lb leader. You might hear people say that you won;t get as many hits if you use heavy leader... I'm yet to really see that make a difference.

Great Kings Cflife.

JayKay - i would suggest 50lb main line as minimum, possibly 80, and leader anywhere from 60 through to 100++++. I caught some good Kings yesterday to 85cm. I also got smoked by a better fish which there was no way i was going to stop. I was using 80main and 100lb leader. You might hear people say that you won;t get as many hits if you use heavy leader... I'm yet to really see that make a difference.

Thanks jim77. I was using light gear and got smoked big time. everytime I got a metre, he got about 5mtrs on me. had no chance.

I would suggest instead on when you get a hook up on the rigger

just keep driving the boat into open and sandy bottom away from structure, say a good 50metres away,

being reefed yer not snapped so it leads me to say you need a tighter drag setting

Thanks for the tips Shadda... I didn't actually touch the rod, just kept driving away. Not much sand to head for in this particular spot. The rod was buckled over that hard that the tip was pretty much in the water. I was actually worried the rod was going to snap it was loaded up so hard. As to drag settings... I learnt my lesson with pussy drag last year. My drag was locked up and still screaming.

You're right it was the bottom that got me - the spot i was fishing has a drop off that goes from 6m down to about 14m. I had my baits at about 10m - the fish took off sideways and down straight for the shallow ledge. It got there before i got a chance to get away from danger. In shallow water you pretty much need everything to go in your favour and then you have a chance. So far this season its Bigger Kingies 2 me 0, but one of them will stick sooner or later.

Thanks for the tips Shadda... I didn't actually touch the rod, just kept driving away. Not much sand to head for in this particular spot. The rod was buckled over that hard that the tip was pretty much in the water. I was actually worried the rod was going to snap it was loaded up so hard. As to drag settings... I learnt my lesson with pussy drag last year. My drag was locked up and still screaming.

You're right it was the bottom that got me - the spot i was fishing has a drop off that goes from 6m down to about 14m. I had my baits at about 10m - the fish took off sideways and down straight for the shallow ledge. It got there before i got a chance to get away from danger. In shallow water you pretty much need everything to go in your favour and then you have a chance. So far this season its Bigger Kingies 2 me 0, but one of them will stick sooner or later.

Im waiting for the day Jim posts a pic of a 20+kg kingie from Sydney Harbour.. I recon its your year buddy. See you out there tomorrow!

Yeah mate was squiding with him :)

few and far between atm.

was out this morning , got a monster king and a few rats.

will put pics up l8r

Well done. How big was your "monster king" mate?

My mate and i landed 2 (75cm and about 82cm) but I was having a shocker and lost 2 others soon after hookup due to pulled hooks :ranting2:

Looking forward to your pics

Yeah mate was squiding with him :)

few and far between atm.

was out this morning , got a monster king and a few rats.

will put pics up l8r

Yeh told me early this evening at a family party you were out there also!!! Nice to see some thumping kings back, cant wait to hear about your lovely monster! Hmmmm Im hoping that will tick Greg off enough to pull a 5 day back to back session! Hah ha, he already does 4 on 4 off...... Cant wait.....

Dan

PS Excuse the post and language, been at a engagement party, cocktail style

Edited by Dan and Greg