Lifejacket Reforms

mrsswordfisherman

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/wh/lifejacket_reforms_faqs.html

Thank you to Bob Wilson for sending this reminder to us

Dear Donna,please find enclosed a copy of the most recent info on the new Life jacket amendments.

you may be already aware of this, if not, can you circ to your readers.

It is most important.

Safety is paramount.

Just look at the incident with the speedboat and the Ferry on Sunday.

Are your readers aware of the 50 point safety check being offered by marine mechanics and service centres, who are members of the BIA.

The boating season ( except for the rain) is upon us. There are so many people out there who are ill equipt for boating or their vessels are not sound.

The water police and maritime are out there doing inspections and issuing fines.

Boating is supposed to be enjoyable, but it must also be done safely.

regards

Bob Wilson

SAFETY BY ALL MEANS

BOB WILSON

Deputy Commander NF2

Botany Bay Flotilla

Australian Volunteer Coast Guard Assoc. Inc.

dfc.nf2@coastguard.com.au

AVCG : 0408 622 158

Bus: 0419 494546

I have a question re this. It says that the LJ only needs to be warn at night, in open waters, when alone etc when the vessel is being operated. Does this mean if I am at anchor or drifting in any of these situations then a LJ does not need to be worn as the vessel is not 'being operated'? Form memory a drifting vessel is 'underway' so I guess that would include it as being 'operated' so a LJ would need to be worn?

I have a question re this. It says that the LJ only needs to be warn at night, in open waters, when alone etc when the vessel is being operated. Does this mean if I am at anchor or drifting in any of these situations then a LJ does not need to be worn as the vessel is not 'being operated'? Form memory a drifting vessel is 'underway' so I guess that would include it as being 'operated' so a LJ would need to be worn?

Hi Dicko,

Yes, drifting is still considered "underway", so a LJ is still required to be worn when drifting. And from what I understand (and I may be wrong) anytime you are in open waters, even if you are anchored, a LJ is required to be worn.

The friendly guys from Marine rescue were out last weekend in the harbour handing out pamphlets regarding this.

Cheers

Edited by insomniac92

I really don't like this.

Safety on my boat is top of the order, don't get me wrong, boating accidents are high. Hence the reason I have boating rules. I have a Steber 4.75 (just under the 4.8m specified) and my rules are;

1. No booze

2. 3 people max

3. No skylarking

And the most important

4. OBEY THE RULES!!!!!!!

I own a boat to enjoy, it's not my fault the law flaunts the basics to create a common ground. (i.e .05 limits, max capacity greater than should be etc.)

So why the hell should I wear a life jacket whilst drifting my fav sand drifts in the calm at Forster in the off peak?????? That is rubbish!

Before the current boat I had a 3.5 mtr tinny, that had the same 5 people max capacity!!!!

A friend of mine owns a 25 foot Trojan plate alloy that has a max of...... You guessed it......5

I own a 16 foot ski boat that has a max capacity of..........tada.....6!!!!!!!

Do the right thing people and this draconian style law won't fall near us. Very harsh to fall in the same category as the drunks, inexperienced and down right dumb.

I really don't like this.

Safety on my boat is top of the order, don't get me wrong, boating accidents are high. Hence the reason I have boating rules. I have a Steber 4.75 (just under the 4.8m specified) and my rules are;

1. No booze

2. 3 people max

3. No skylarking

And the most important

4. OBEY THE RULES!!!!!!!

I own a boat to enjoy, it's not my fault the law flaunts the basics to create a common ground. (i.e .05 limits, max capacity greater than should be etc.)

So why the hell should I wear a life jacket whilst drifting my fav sand drifts in the calm at Forster in the off peak?????? That is rubbish!

Before the current boat I had a 3.5 mtr tinny, that had the same 5 people max capacity!!!!

A friend of mine owns a 25 foot Trojan plate alloy that has a max of...... You guessed it......5

I own a 16 foot ski boat that has a max capacity of..........tada.....6!!!!!!!

Do the right thing people and this draconian style law won't fall near us. Very harsh to fall in the same category as the drunks, inexperienced and down right dumb.

It doesnt matter if you dont like it !! ITS NOW LAW AND THATS THE END OF IT.

And I think you should have a look at your rating for a 3.5 mt tinnie with five adults onboard,IDONT THINK SO.

Swordfisherman

Hi, I have worked out a deal with one our suppliers and have done a bulk buy of good quality inflatable PFD1s so if you have a boat smaller than 4.8M and even if you do not like the laws, you will need to wear a suitable jacket at the times listed, then PM me and i can give you the Raider price on these great jackets and they really are not that bad to wear in terms of restricting movement.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey, I'll take you up on that.

Swordy you are correct, the tinnie was 4 people, still 2 more than I think is safe.

The biggest reason for my rant is this, yes people drown when not wearing a life jacket, but the issue isn't that they are not wearing one, it is how they ended up in the water in the first place. If the current laws were better policed and our licensing was more involved we would have better boatsman and a safer environment and a lot less accidents would happen. Forcing life jackets I don't think will make to much of a difference.

Just my thoughts

Thanks Huey, I'll take you up on that.

Swordy you are correct, the tinnie was 4 people, still 2 more than I think is safe.

The biggest reason for my rant is this, yes people drown when not wearing a life jacket, but the issue isn't that they are not wearing one, it is how they ended up in the water in the first place. If the current laws were better policed and our licensing was more involved we would have better boatsman and a safer environment and a lot less accidents would happen. Forcing life jackets I don't think will make to much of a difference.

Just my thoughts

I agree with you on most of the above.

There were two very experienced boaties on our forums who hit a channel marker at speed in the early hours of the morning and they knew that waterway very well.

They sustained major injuries and they were EXPERIENCED !!!

These laws seem harsh but even if it saves one life it will be worth it and I cant wait to don my new marlin PFD 1 s and get used to them because there is no choice in this matter.

Thankyou for clearing up that query on capacity as well :thumbup:

Regards Swordfisherman

From the day i got my boat we had one rule with my wife when i am out by my self i wear my jacket after a couple of minutes you dont even know you have it on.When the new rules started i was talking with a work mate about it she will be right mate he said.Yesterday he rang me telling me that he was lucky to be alive.While At ANCHOR at Juno Point he fouled a line around his prop,he lifted the motor to cut the line away a small wave made him loose his balance.he fell chest first onto the prop then into the water.Lucky for him only bad bruising it could have been a lot worse if he hit his head we all would have been reading about it in the news.I asked him did he have his jacket on we all know the answer .He is out today buying auto life jackets for the whole family

Cheers Stephen ( Reggie the Rabbit).

Edited by Reggie the Rabbit

the new regs seem sensible to me - the new situations where wearing is compulsory correspond with increased risk. even in closed waters i put on a jacket if i'm by myself and the water is a bit choppy (I'm a bit of a lead foot in the car and when i've got a stretch of water i do like to exercise the boat too!). it's not much of an adjustment to wear one all the time. if i was setting anchor and fell off possibly getting tangled in the rope i would be pretty thankful for the additional buoyancy.

Hi, I have worked out a deal with one our suppliers and have done a bulk buy of good quality inflatable PFD1s so if you have a boat smaller than 4.8M and even if you do not like the laws, you will need to wear a suitable jacket at the times listed, then PM me and i can give you the Raider price on these great jackets and they really are not that bad to wear in terms of restricting movement.

Cheers,

Huey.

Put me down for one .

Now this is confusing if you look at where their site direct you for boat sizing, i have a 2005 quinnie 475 coast runner total lenght 5.04mtrs from nose(no not from the roller but where the hull meets the small bow spirit)to the back where the motor sits. As my pod is not removeable and is part of the hull is it included?

Now if i take a measurement to the back of the boat before the pod its under the 4.8mtrs

I consider my boat to be over the 4.8 mtrs as thats its total hull lenght is 5.04mtrs

What are your thoughts, as i gather there will be several people is this predicament you maybe can have the waterways respond on this!!!

Gaz

Quoting there definiton

How do I determine the length of my vessel?

The length of the vessel means its length of its hull. This includes all structural and integral parts of the craft, such as wooden, plastic or metal stem or sterns, bulwarks and hull/deck joints.

Hull length excludes removable parts that can be detached in a non-destructive manner and without affecting the structural integrity of the craft, eg outboard motors, swimming platforms, bowsprits, fittings or attachments. This measure is consistent with the International Standard, Small Craft – Principal Data Standard.

Gaz,

Check the "length of hull" for your boat as stated by quintrex. I know the 470 topender has a length of hull of 5.05m on their website. My 450 has a length of hull of 4.61m. Given that information you may be alright but i assure some officers will give you trouble as "your boat says 475".

I don't like this new law like many others who operate small boats regularly and hate being fed garbage such as making safety comparisons to fools that run under rivercats!!!

Nonetheless as site admin stated the law is the law and thats it. I recently bought a couple of PFD Type 1 manual inflatable jackets for myself and whoever my guest is.

I have been using it the past couple of weeks and its not too much of a hassle. The only time it got in the way and made things a bit uncomfortable was when i was jigging. Chasing squid, flicking lures, downrigging and driving around is fine so its not all bad!

Edited by fishmaniac

Fishmaniac,

Good point, i checked my rego papers and its down as 4.89m same as the lenght bow-transom stats as per a page i kept from the catalogue of my boat. Although lenght overall is 5.04 on the catalogue as well.

My concern was the link to boat measurements guide had the lenght short of the pod on the examples but i'm guessing its for a bolt on pod or such like.

I figure to as the boat has 475 on the side i will get hassled by some officers who think they know all, so i'm guessing i'm keeping a copy of my rego papers on board for the last word.

Edited by gaz

Gaz,

We have a Quintrex 475 Bayhunter (the same as the Coastrunner) and I wanted to see for myself to clear the issue up. (There is another thread in here re hull lengths) I measured the hull from where the bow joins the forward deck to the stern and found that it was exactly 4.75 metres to the engine mount, the furthest point at the stern. Measuring from the front of the bow roller it was 5.04 metres, which is overall length but apparently NOT hull length for the purposes of the legislation. The hull length is as defined and is measured from where the bow sweeps up to join the decking or gunwale, I believe.

Mr 475,

Can you check your rego papers and see what its states(lenght), mine is 4.89mtrs as per the rego papers and catalogue states bow to transom is the same at 4.89mtrs(can't see quintrex quoting wrong figures and there may be slight changes between mine(2005)and your model)

I release it doesn't include the bow roller and measurement starts where hull meets the top deck at the pointy end.

I will re-check with the tape (boat doesn't live at home)to be sure though.

Again another reason to keep rego papers handy as this shows there can be slight variations between 475 models of boats.

Gaz