Rod To Cast Unweighted Pilchards

trungie

What should I look for in a rod for casting unweighted pillies. I will be casting them off rock platforms mostly. What sort of properties in a rod make this sort of style of fishing easier?

Been casting bobby corks and pillies for years, thought i'd give this a try :D

Edited by GeekFisherman

What should I look for in a rod for casting unweighted pillies. I will be casting them off rock platforms mostly. What sort of properties in a rod make this sort of style of fishing easier?

Been casting bobby corks and pillies for years, thought i'd give this a try :D

Personally mate, and this is just MY opinion... I wouldnt go outlaying money on a specific rod just for casting out unweighted pilchards off the rocks. It IS a very successfull way to catch fish at times but i've found its main success is on tailor and salmon, the same species u can catch with the bobby cork and sinker.

That being said if im feeling lazy or having a coffee, break between spinning etc i might cast out an unwieghted pilchard on gangs or snelled hooks. If I do that i'll do it off whatever rod i've got on hand which is either my custom built ifish 9ft rock/spin, 8ft powertip, or 8 wrap snyder glass beach rod @ 12ft.

A lighter rod will obviously get u a further cast within reason, however u dont want to go TOO light and risk losing that big fish that can often come while fishing off the rocks. If u do wanna chase up a rod for this sort of thing i reccomend a "fast action" rod, of about 9 or 10 foot. I really wouldnt bother fishing anything less than 20lb off the rocks and even then most kingies will laugh at that! I learnt it the hard way before i had internet and forums with helpful and like minded people lol

Musty

+ 1 for Musty suggestion- there is no point in getting a specific rod for unweighted pillies... BUT...

I wouldnt go anything below 10 foot for any casting type application esp from the ocean rocks, and I wouldnt go above 13 foot.

I would get a rod in either 5-8kg or 8-12kg and use a 7000 or bigger reel (for capacity) and load up with 30lb braid with mono backing.

Brands like Wilson, Silstar, Shimano and even UglyStiks are great casting rods in the longer versions, and make good spin rods aswell if you are so inclined to have a go @ chucking lures around...

Musty mentioned the "8 wrap snyder glass" rod... well I have one and they are designed to be used with Alvey's, they're heavy but cast a mile without a doubt and are tough as nails, matched to a 600 series Alvey they are hard to beat for toughness and relibaility... so easy to maintain... beat overheads hands down and outcasts most spin gear.

Good luck with the search

Anthony

Edited by wannabefisho

I cast a lot of unweighted bait from pillies to prawns. I have a bent tip rod for this purpose. The bend in the tip gives it extra flick and shots to bait further. I use the rod with lead as well and it suits this purpose just as good.

+ 1 for Musty suggestion- there is no point in getting a specific rod for unweighted pillies... BUT...

I wouldnt go anything below 10 foot for any casting type application esp from the ocean rocks, and I wouldnt go above 13 foot.

I would get a rod in either 5-8kg or 8-12kg and use a 7000 or bigger reel (for capacity) and load up with 30lb braid with mono backing.

Brands like Wilson, Silstar, Shimano and even UglyStiks are great casting rods in the longer versions, and make good spin rods aswell if you are so inclined to have a go @ chucking lures around...

Musty mentioned the "8 wrap snyder glass" rod... well I have one and they are designed to be used with Alvey's, they're heavy but cast a mile without a doubt and are tough as nails, matched to a 600 series Alvey they are hard to beat for toughness and relibaility... so easy to maintain... beat overheads hands down and outcasts most spin gear.

Good luck with the search

Anthony

Just further to Anthony's info on the 8 wrap Snyder Glass rod. These do come in varying types and those designed for Alvey reels are quite common. Typically they have a shorter butt section, i.e the reel seet is sitting closer to the end of the rod. Mine however is designed for a spinning reel and has a more conventional butt length. Alot of stores that do rod building will often build these rods and can be purhcased for between $140-$220 depending on hardware/fittings etc.

Maybe have a look at a 7 wrap snyder instead. Atleast when your not casting your unweighted pilchards off the rocks they also make an awesome whiting/bream rod off the beaches.

Good luck!

Musty

Thanks for the responses fellas. I already have a good rod for casting pilchards under corks. However my reasoning is to be able to throw out one unweighted without re rigging.

Instead of buying another rod for casting more corks i want to get a suitable rod for the unweighted pillies. Right now with my current outfit, it does not cast well as it does not properly load up the rod, it being rated at 8-15kg. Casting out is not really effective and putting extra power in the cast usually sends the pillie flying off the hooks. I also salt my pillies, but really prefer only slightly salted ones.

Thanks for the comment thus far.

I am eyeing something in the nitro sniper 3-6kg rated rod 10'6. Any coments on this or otherwise?