Rocket Fuel

keenist

Just interested what lube everyone is using (no, not that type!) for bearings on casting reels.

I hear that the Rocket Fuel is the best? Any ideas how i can get some? I was under the impression that Jack Erskine brings it in, but i can't find it on his site.

Jack, if you're out there?

Just interested what lube everyone is using (no, not that type!) for bearings on casting reels.

I hear that the Rocket Fuel is the best? Any ideas how i can get some? I was under the impression that Jack Erskine brings it in, but i can't find it on his site.

Jack, if you're out there?

47305[/snapback]

Yellow rocket fuel is great stuff for baitcasters, have used it for years. The red lube that come with the high end Daiwa reels is also tops. A detailed comparison of the viscosities of various lubes can be found at

http://www.cpinternet.com/msp02174/Viscosities%20table.jpg

Note that if the viscosity is too low, the reel may become superfast and hard to use. YRF is a very good compromise. It is listed on Jack Erskine's site - TGs rocket fuel under products.

Strewth

so a baitcaster can be too fast?

48498[/snapback]

Sure can. With some very low viscosity lubes it can be difficult to control the spool speed, especially in windy conditions, leading to birds nests. The external mag brake dials on Daiwas make it is easier to moderate this sensitivity, but don't solve the problem completely. Centrfugal brakes are, in my experience, much more to difficult to control when using very low viscosity lubes. I have no trouble throwing 4g lures and up with YRF in good conditions, but you need the right reel, line and rod. YRF doesn't throw-off the bearings and only needs to be applied a couple of times a season. I've used TDZ and Alphas reels primed with the red Daiwa lube and was also very impressed (even though it has a lower viscosity).

Strewth

• 1 month later...

Hi Ya,

I use rocket fuel to get more cast control out of my torium 30. These reels dont have any centrifugal brakes so you can get more overruns. Started using the rocket stuff and it seems to be more controllable. No complaints with it at all.