Overseas Travel Insurance After Cancer

arpie

Hi all

As many of you know, Keith has basically been cleared of cancer, following a pretty hard year with major surgery & chemo.

In April of next year, Keith plans to travel with his twin brother over to the USA to visit their older brother ....... but the first thing they ask you when applying for travel insurance (especially for medical insurance) is whether you have ever had or been diagnosed with cancer in the previous 12 months!! Then they say you will be excluded from Medical Insurance of any kind!!

Has anyone found a travel insurance that gives medical insurance to post cancer patients? We are getting a letter from the oncologist saying that with surgery & chemo, he has basically been given a clean bill of health ....... not sure if that will sway them tho!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Glad to hear that Keith is well and able to travel again :thumbup:

Anyone will cover but the cost will be more of course. Some places to go for information will be the Cancer Council, your private health insurer will do travel insurance policies, CoverMore does good packages. Any insurer will ask you to get a dr to fill in a Medical Assessment form.

You really need it for travel to USA. The person handling your travel ie: travel agent will know about those options also.

Good luck with the search :biggrin2:

Donna

Thanks for that Donna - will get stuck into the research after we return from WA!! :biggrin2:

Cheerio

Roberta

A buddy just told me of Aussie Travel Cover - so will do some more homework when we get home after our trip

Edited by Roberta

• 1 month later...

Hi all

As many of you know, Keith has basically been cleared of cancer, following a pretty hard year with major surgery & chemo.

In April of next year, Keith plans to travel with his twin brother over to the USA to visit their older brother ....... but the first thing they ask you when applying for travel insurance (especially for medical insurance) is whether you have ever had or been diagnosed with cancer in the previous 12 months!! Then they say you will be excluded from Medical Insurance of any kind!!

Has anyone found a travel insurance that gives medical insurance to post cancer patients? We are getting a letter from the oncologist saying that with surgery & chemo, he has basically been given a clean bill of health ....... not sure if that will sway them tho!

Cheers

Roberta

Roberta Have just returned home after 8 weeks in hospital , hopefully free from cancer , time will tell.

In respect to your question I guess there are several ways to look at . Why do they care if you have had cancer. It is no a desise where your fine today & looking for urgent attention tomorrow. If something dose go wrong you can be home in 24 hours..

Are they suggesting that if you fall & break your arm it is cancer related.

Donna makes some good points which I would follow up.

If you want to be sneakey & take a minor risk answer NO to the question , how will they know the difference

Geoff

Hi Geoff

SO pleased that you are home & hope the followup tests do show that you are free from the cancer. Keith had his CT scan in late Nov & it looked good. He has another checkup with his doc on Mon, then they should hopefully leave us alone for another 6 months!!

....In respect to your question I guess there are several ways to look at . Why do they care if you have had cancer. It is no a desise where your fine today & looking for urgent attention tomorrow. If something dose go wrong you can be home in 24 hours.. Are they suggesting that if you fall & break your arm it is cancer related......

Yes, I think they ARE suggesting that ANYTHING that happens to you, whether you are run over or trip over an uneven footpath, is somehow related to the cancer! WHich is really weird, as we have a document from the oncologist that states that he is free from cancer & is able to do what ever he wants!! I reckon people that have had heart attacks would be more at risk of having a 'repeat' episode!! We are only talking about 2 weeks holiday, not a 12 month sojourn!!

This mob is OK for insurance - a bit of a surcharge, mainly because Keith is over 70, than anything!! Some, as soon as you say the C word immediately say that they won't cover i\you! It's not as if it is infectious or anything! Just plain ignorance, I reckon!!

http://www.aussietravelcover.com.au/

All the best for your recovery - enjoy life & get out there, doing what you like!!

Cheerio

Roberta