Striped Tuna

Slink

Hi all Raiders ,

Been trying to land my first stripey for a while now , seen a lot of them moving around and have chased them alot throwing small metal lures at them and cranking them back as fast as i can . Had a couple of follows but no hook ups yet . I have also tried trolling small skirts around them .

Can anyone tell me how they catch them , I dont know where to go from here . I have fairly high speed reels ( shimano stradics and a stella ) but the buggas wont hit it . Maybe I need the exact skirt size or lure size , tried to match the hatch but unsure what they are feeding on .

Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated .

Cheers

Hi all Raiders ,

Been trying to land my first stripey for a while now , seen a lot of them moving around and have chased them alot throwing small metal lures at them and cranking them back as fast as i can . Had a couple of follows but no hook ups yet . I have also tried trolling small skirts around them .

Can anyone tell me how they catch them , I dont know where to go from here . I have fairly high speed reels ( shimano stradics and a stella ) but the buggas wont hit it . Maybe I need the exact skirt size or lure size , tried to match the hatch but unsure what they are feeding on .

Cheers

Mate you seam to be doing everything right, they will basically hit anything when there in feeding mode. ive caught them on metal slugs and also trolling rapala xraps do the trick, Skirts such as jet heads. im sure your not far away from a hook up. Good luck

When they are on my fav. lure is always williamson jet smoker, as last year they were a bit quieter than the year before that I got so many on those . Always got them when trolling faster then normeal usually on the way back from peak or FADs . Hope this helps.At usually off south Maroubra Heads 70- 50 m marks. Hornets

I caught my first stripey's this yr too by trollin slugs and skirts. I did notice when we gutted them they had very small white bait in there stomach so maybe if we downsize the slug we could of got a few more then what we did.

Edited by Little Hooker

Hi Slink,

We troll 3 small plastic skirts at a time for Stripeys. You can find them anywhere between the coastline and the shelf and beyond.

In the past two years we head out of Port Hacking and troll NE until we find them and generally never miss. Last two seasons have seen fish between 1.7kg anf 5.5kg any time between October and April. We use light mono outfits for the fun of it and I have also caught some on handlines for the challenge. When theres no Marlin or YFT around it makes a great day offshore and fills the freezer with great bream bait.

Tight Lines,

Crusher from Cronulla.

Hey mate, i manage to catch them trolling little 4" pelagics, they seem to do the trick quite nicely. They end up being around 40 - 45cm. Last time i was out they even took my laser pro 160! that was pretty funny, hooked him absolutely everywhere.

Hope this helps...

Hi all Raiders ,

Cheers

Hi slink,it can be frustrating not getting the hook ups.Always have a good spread out the back and troll at 8-10 knots you will soon find your favourite lure colours as some colours get smashed 24/7 regardless of cost???For me when after stripe tuna i use 4.5 inch chrome jet head lures in pink and white with a blue stripe coated in glitter,i use halco silver mullet 125 std dives to 3m.,rapala that dives to 15ft in matched colur to the strpies and other swap around lures to make a good spread.This is my set up anyway and do well on the stripies on lures mentioned hope this helps mate.

chris

Thanks fellas ,

I will invest in some small jet heads , it cant be too long now untill i hook up on a few . As I said I have had follows but nothing yet . Seems those smaller fast trolled jets do the job , thanks again for the feedback . I will let you know when I have success ! Great baits for the snapper .

Cheers Slink

we were getting them a few months a go, casting 20g and 80g raider lures at the schools..

crank them in flat out until there right near the sufrace then pause for a split second and hang on!!

the surface strikes were awesome.. good luck..:1fishing1: