Sydney Harbour

Zdenk01

Hi Raiders,

Launched Tunks this morning & straight to bait grounds managed 6

squid in an hour. Then off to the harbour in search of the kings.

I must not be holding my tongue right or something :P

Nothing on the sounder hardly any boats & no surface activity.

wind picked up after lunch as predicted. time to go home with a big

fat donut.

cheers

Zed

Hi Raiders,

Launched Tunks this morning & straight to bait grounds managed 6

squid in an hour. Then off to the harbour in search of the kings.

I must not be holding my tongue right or something :P

Nothing on the sounder hardly any boats & no surface activity.

wind picked up after lunch as predicted. time to go home with a big

fat donut.

cheers

Zed

Unlucky, last Sunday I had Kingies busting up all round the boat at the bait grounds, through everything but the kitchen sink at them and all bare one curious fella that followed my lure to the boat not even a sniff. Tried a trolling a lure through the same section, still no cigar. I guess this means I have to try again.

fshn4fn

Secret is not to fish the weekends. Too much boat activity spook the fish. However at the moment it's a little tricky finding the fish. I had Kings all around me on Wednesday all Rats but none of them would take a lure or plastic. They went balistic on cubed bonito so they only took bait. Anyway hope you have some luck next time. Tight Lines :1fishing1:

same is for me mate, I fished the harbour on sunday to and couldn't bring in a single fish. The only king we saw was a rat that that we lost beside the boat on a downrigged yakka in middle harbour. Even tried the colours with jigs and livies and still couldn't find any :mad3:

Kingfish as you are now aware are very finicky. If they dont bite just try letting your rig just sit there.

Let it float around and dont touch your line. They are like cats and will play with a bait. I found using the heads

of Big king prawns(cooked) worked for me. I also like to use fillets of Bonito or similar fish. Also stop the

burly trail if you have them in your fish zone. Just the odd piece or two to keep them there. Also leave your real in free

spool.

Forgive me all but why do all the boat and boating posts talk about hanging in the harbour?

I'm perplexed a little, I fish old Mans a fair amount and other spots and see boats 20 metres away catching big donuts. For example last Sunday, was at old mans - raining etc dive boats and heaps of boats and kayaks fishing just off the rocks and they were catching zilch? I pulled up in 2 hours, 3 trevally, a king around the 80 mark, a god damn spanish mackeral that chewed a chunk out of my thumb ( yes me being stupid ) and this weird thing that looked like a whiting on major steroids with teeth like the devil monster river fish ( devil fish ) ? All in all a great afternoon and the sun came out just before sunset :) Alone at old mans on Sunday afternoon ... doesn't get any better? Does boat fishing really increase the chance of fish if in the harbour? Seeing fish like rock shelves and structure? Curious to see some opinions :)

Cheers and be well all :)

"a god damn spanish mackeral that chewed a chunk out of my thumb"

Not saying its impossible velveteenrabbit... But i would say that it is 99.9% certain that you didn't catch a Spanish Mackeral in the Harbour! How big was it? Sounds like a Bonito to me - 000s of them around atm, and they have very sharp teeth, as you found out.

"and this weird thing that looked like a whiting on major steroids with teeth like the devil"

That would be a Pike - very good livebait for Kings.