Awesome Day, But Where Are The Kings?

gobbledock

Went out this afternoon in hope of a king but straight of the bat i knew it wasn't going to happen due to dirty green water. Couldn't find any yakkas and only manged one squid. After soaking the fresh squid for 2hrs without a touch we decided to troll back to the ramp with metal slices. As we hit Quarantine a school of salmon surfaced so we decided to chase and cast. Hooked two in the 2-3kg mark. To make a long story short we caught surface breaking fish for the next 2 and a bit hours, non stop around the cardinal markers. Ended up with 25+ fish, many dropped. Mainly Bonito, Tailor and salmon. Great fun

Water was at 19.4 at old mans. Is anyone else struggling with kings this season?? Its been 5 outings with no king to show for my efforts :mad3:

There were 3 kingies swimming around Lane Cove River around 1 pm and one of em tried to take my new surface lure back to his or her place but I managed to rip it away from them as I was using 4 lb gear.

Cheers Stewy.

PS they were in 3 feet of water not 1mtre from the boat :tease: trying to catch small garfish

Well done on finding some nice surface action mate. It's great fun visual fishing and certainly beats not catching anything.

You are not the only one struggling to catch fish mate. Apart from a couple of spots it seems pretty desolate.

I hope the water warms up a bit more and the kings move in soon!

Yeah its pretty tough atm... By the sounds of it you were fishing outside or at least near the heads. I have done it tough the last few trips out there as have a lot of other good fisherman i know. There are plenty of Kings at Long reef (or there were a couple of weeks ago) but i think even those have moved on with the cold water pushing in.

If i were you i would focus your efforts on the harbour and middle harbour. The water is really warm in MH and the Kings have pushed really far up stream on that. There is a mountain of garfish. if you can catch some of them and fish them live you will be a real good chance of getting a good King.

Good luck

I feel your pain too stream! I jus got home from a all night/morning session and all we caught was tailor,salmon and bonnies, they were busting up the surface all morning in the harbour. :thumbup:

Ive been out about the same amount of time and only mannage to landed 2 undersize kings since the weather has gotten warmer. Its driving me nuts! :ranting2:

Masses of surface activity out there and loads of bonnies.

Anyone hit any decent kings in the last couple of days as it looks like there are a few people struggling? How do you catch gars by the way? Can't find any info about it. Quick answer or pm will do guys as I don't want to hijack the thread!

Edited by Maiders

Hoping ny now that the yakka situation improved. We were out a couple of weeks ago and there weren't any yakkas then either.

Here's for hoping the season turns around really quickly. Today is day 2 without any rain so hopefully this will help.

Yakkas are still around but you should get them before daylight, ie (5am or ealier) for best/quickest results. We get ours at spots around the harbour at any time of the day. Some days they are at one location, and the next they arent! It always pays to have a few spots were you can gather them consistently and reliably.

Dan

Yeah its pretty tough atm... By the sounds of it you were fishing outside or at least near the heads. I have done it tough the last few trips out there as have a lot of other good fisherman i know. There are plenty of Kings at Long reef (or there were a couple of weeks ago) but i think even those have moved on with the cold water pushing in.

If i were you i would focus your efforts on the harbour and middle harbour. The water is really warm in MH and the Kings have pushed really far up stream on that. There is a mountain of garfish. if you can catch some of them and fish them live you will be a real good chance of getting a good King.

Good luck

Where in MH or how far up? Tried from shark island to balmoral to nth head??? Any help would be great PM if any advice Cheers :thumbup:

Re: catching gars.

I'm no expert but I have caught some in the past.

Everything including line, hooks and float as small and light as you have.

Either a small quill float or small "bobby" float.

No. 12 hook. Beak hooks seem to get more hookups but are harder to get out of the fishes mouth. Long shanks seem to be easier to use but I'm sure the fish shy away from them.

Burley with bread crumbs or similar. Not crusts 'cause they float and will attract birds and send the gars down. Gars will be the furthest fish away in the trail. yakkas come really close but gars will be seen as an occasional swirl or splash or perhaps flash of silver 20 metres away.

For some reason a tiny piece of prawn bait is better than the bread that you attract them with. In my experience anyway.

Set the bait pretty close under the float, perhaps 10 to 30 cm at most.

Have fun! They go mental when hooked and although they don't have much weight to them they blast around and jump a lot.

Hope this helps.

oh yeah! They are hard to keep alive. They tend to bolt about and bash their beaks into things and then get sick and turn belly up.

Reeltired.

Definately the water temp mate. The Kings are preety thick at the moment but all under sized rats. The water temp has been playing tricks the last 2 weeks going from 20oC to 16oC in some areas which will drive the bigger fish outside. Hopefully this means a late bumper season coming up just hope the rain stays away. Tight Lines :1fishing1: