Perth Vs. Sydney

jay83091

Hey everyone :)

I used to fish quite a bit when I was living in Perth and from what I can remember, It was quite easy to hook up a decent sized tailor pretty much everywhere. I moved to Sydney couple of years ago and just started fishing again and tried couple of spots near Maroubra, Bondi, Port Kembla etc and It seems like it's a lot harder to land a tailor near Sydney than Perth. Perhaps I am not using the correct tactics or fishing in the right location.

I use standard whole pillies on gangs with a float and fish around 6:00 am. Till this day, I haven't caught any decent sized salmon or tailor around sydney. I am planning to go for a fishing again this weekend to break this curse! Can anyone recommend me a spot? :) I heard South Coogee (Lurline Bay) is quite good, might head there and give a try.

Any advice would be much appreciated ! :1prop:

mate if your landbase and you want good size fish i tend 2 hit the beaches

Which beach do you go to? I've been to Maraboura and Coogee, there are so many surfers in the morning. I've never tried beach fishing but don't you need a really long rod to cast fairly far?

Unfortunately i think you'll find that Sydney fish stocks just arent of the same level as over in Perth following the long years of overfishing out here. I used to regularly fish the beaches up North of Hawksnest on family holidays and no beach in Sydney even comes close to the amount of life you see on the beaches up there.

R

Which beach do you go to? I've been to Maraboura and Coogee, there are so many surfers in the morning. I've never tried beach fishing but don't you need a really long rod to cast fairly far?

yea your best bet is 2 get your self a 12 foot rod take sum pilcheds and a couple of chrome lures and you will get them all beaches get busy you should be able 2 find your self a gutter away from the surfers or do anite fish you mite be lucky and score a jewi cronula beach stanwel park beach dee why beach

Edited by SQUIDIN

I tend to agree with Mr. Squidy,the tailor around Sydney probably don't rate as well as those in Perth. The north nsw coast is far more productive if you are after large tailor & there are a few spots on the Central Coast which hold mega tailor at times.

Cheers, Scoop

I will get myself a 12ft rod and try it out from the beach at night :) Thanks everyone for your kind advice.

I used a decent sized float + sinker + gang hooks (whole pilchard) to fish off the rocks but can I use this method as well if I am beach fishing?

Thanks again :)

I used to fish quite a bit when I was living in Perth and from what I can remember, It was quite easy to hook up a decent sized tailor pretty much everywhere. I moved to Sydney couple of years ago and just started fishing again and tried couple of spots near Maroubra, Bondi, Port Kembla etc and It seems like it's a lot harder to land a tailor near Sydney than Perth. Perhaps I am not using the correct tactics or fishing in the right location.

I use standard whole pillies on gangs with a float and fish around 6:00 am. Till this day, I haven't caught any decent sized salmon or tailor around sydney. I am planning to go for a fishing again this weekend to break this curse! Can anyone recommend me a spot? :) I heard South Coogee (Lurline Bay) is quite good, might head there and give a try.

Gotta love perth for there tailor for size and quantity,only had the luck to do one trip over there and yes the tailor are huge(MEMORIES :1fishing1: ).Mate here in sydney we don,t see tailor even close to those massive fish your use to.Places here that put out tailor that shold help are brighten beach at night,container wall,sydney beaches are hot and cold,stokton beach newcastle excellant big fish too just the drive mate hope this helps.

chris

PM sent mate

pongrass18ft

I reckon the Tailor fishing in Sydney can be as good as anywhere.

Time of year is important. Generally you will do a lot better from Autumn to Winter.

My p.b of 4.6kg's came from the rocks at North Head.

One of the best methods is a 10-12ft rod, matched with 12-20lb line with a running ball sinker to a gang hook rig with pillies or gar.

Cast out as far as you can & slowly wind it back.

This works from the rocks or the beach.

I've caught 4 Jews while fishing for tailor as bait doing this, as well as a number of other species.

Give it a crack. It's more fun than simply soaking a bait & is very effective.

Cheers,

Grant.

I reckon the Tailor fishing in Sydney can be as good as anywhere.

Time of year is important. Generally you will do a lot better from Autumn to Winter.

My p.b of 4.6kg's came from the rocks at North Head.

One of the best methods is a 10-12ft rod, matched with 12-20lb line with a running ball sinker to a gang hook rig with pillies or gar.

Cast out as far as you can & slowly wind it back.

This works from the rocks or the beach.

I've caught 4 Jews while fishing for tailor as bait doing this, as well as a number of other species.

Give it a crack. It's more fun than simply soaking a bait & is very effective.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hey, thanks for sharing that method Jewhunter, will have to give it a burst. Did you see Scotty Lyons report with the 70cm Tailor, man thats a monster!