My Old Tinnie

Hooky.

Just thought I'd throw up a few pics of the old tinnie showing the decks etc I have installed.

It's not much but it's comfortable. :1fishing1:

As you can see from the outside, it's just an old 4.2m Quintrex tinnie.

post-9-1116029707_thumb.jpg

This is an aerial shot of the decks and lean seat I just finished installing. I still need to put hatch type decking between the middle thwart and the front deck so as to make it one deck from front to back.

post-9-1116030573_thumb.jpg

And a close up.

post-9-1116030663_thumb.jpg

To be continued........ :biggrin2:

cheers

Hooky

Thanks fella's. :biggrin2:

It's a project which has been stretched out over time. Not because it was hard but just something I would work on when I had some spare time.

It is very rewarding in the end not to mention making an older boat a bit more comfy.

I threw in a lean seat 'cos the old sports injuries don't agree with standing up on one leg whilst steering/pedalling the motor guide. :1prop:

Hooky , I had the same model Qunnie for 20 years but with a screen & foward controls.

We had some great times & a very stable fishing platform , only sold it last year.

Mine was still in the origional cofigeration including the the 3 seats.

You have done a great job :1clap::1clap:

Regards

Geoff

Thanks again fella's.

It might serve to help those wishing to do a similar thing to a similar boat.

When I get a chance I'll post pics from when I first started the job.

Hooky,

Iv'e been looking at the motor guides lately, might be purchasing one.  How do you find them?

47760[/snapback]

G'day Ken

The MG for me is a great addition to the boat.

Been a cable steer it is very responsive and there are no electronics to worry about.

The whole motor as a unit seems very tough and the foot pedal seems to be able to put up with anything, including been bounced around on the floor of the boat and been dropped on the concrete from a great height. :1yikes: (Yes, I have accidently done this a couple of times whilst taking the motor off the boat.)

Mine is a 54lbFW MG and personally I would not go any lower than a 54lb leccy on a boat this size.

The down side is the height of the foot pedal which is why I installed a lean seat. Standing on "one" leg for 7 hours is a hard task even if you don't have niggling injuries but with the lean seat you are able to make the task more comfortable.

Basically, IMO, a lean seat is a "must have" with a cable steer Motor Guide.

cheers

Hooky

Gday Paul

looks great, did you weld or bolt in the sections to add the floor? what did you use to form it up (guessing aluminium angles...?)

cheers

Chris

47855[/snapback]

G'day Chris

Everything is pop riveted in with 3/16ths rivets. Couldn't be bothered with the tig or mig welder for the simple reason that it wasn't worth the hassle for me dragging the boat into work. (I only have a stick welder at home.)

Frame is made up of 38 x 25 x 2.5 walled aluminium tube and aluminium angle for holding it all together.

Extra bracing beneath where the lean seat is and carpet on top of the frame to stop squeaks and rubbing noises. I could have used rubber but I chose carpet for the extra thickness and at the same time utilising the off-cuts I had.

I put rubber under anything that had load and was touching against the body of the boat, as the below pics show.

The frame might not look pretty but it isn't a "cosmetic" part of the boat and it is as strong as an ox.

post-9-1116242335_thumb.jpg

post-9-1116242366_thumb.jpg

THat is an impressive job, I take it your a tradesman, or a very talented handyperson. As for the info on the MG, thanks, I got some quotes for a MG 40 lb thrust, freshwater model. Do you reckon 40 lbs is a bit light for my rig, which is a 3.85 metre stessl edgetracker, in the flyer they reckon they can push a boat along up to 5 metres. I can move one of the seats onto the front casting deck, but that lean to seat is a good idea, also make things more stable on choppy days. Again, well done on the floor et al.

G'day Ken

I am a tradesman, a toolmaker in the metal industry but I think this is a job that anyone could do with a bit of planning and homework.

As for the 40lb MG having enough thrust on your tinnie, I would imagine it would be OK but just to make certain send a PM to The Iceman and pick his brain.

He has a 40 or 42lb MG on his Quintrex 350 and it seems to push his along with no troubles for the duration of a bream social (7 hours) with two grown men and their gear.

cheers

Hooky

G'day EVAN, yep, it's a 45 litre livewell.

I actually copied the design off Ozy, along with some other tank ideas. Good one Ozy. :biggrin2:

I didn't make the tank myself because it worked out basically cheaper and more time efficient to pay someone to do it. Not cheap for some but in my eyes a lot cheaper than I can make the tank at work for. :1prop:

In short, cut a hole in the thwart for the appropriate sized tank.

post-9-1116320177_thumb.jpg

Check to make sure it fits before cutting in all the required holes.

post-9-1116320206_thumb.jpg

Get it powder coated with anti-graffiti powder coating, throw some carpet on the seat then toss the tank into the thwart, attach some pipes and rivet the tank to the thwart.

post-9-1116320243_thumb.jpg

Add a lid and connect the plumbing.

post-9-1116320272_thumb.jpg

Throw a bilge pump on the back.

post-9-1116320319_thumb.jpg

And there you have a simple livewell for bream socials, a live bait tank for chasing those bigger fish, a tank for your ice slurry to keep your catch fresh for the table or just a good old ice chest for keeping the ales cool.:1beer:

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky

Hokky - can I get you to run a photo of how you have installed your seat forrard for the 'leccy motor?  I have been thinking of one for my tinny, but wondering how it was braced.

48030[/snapback]

G'day granpop

The following pics should be self explanitory.

The two bars that are close together are directly under the base plate.

post-9-1116402028_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the view from underneath. I used large washers to help with holding strength against the deck.

post-9-1116402117_thumb.jpg

Also, I put two 12g self tappers in behind the base plate and screwed into the bracing underneath to stop the deck lifting when the seat is rocked with someone siting on it....pulling the deck in an upwards fashion.

post-9-1116402300_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

cheers

Hooky

Hooky, sorry to bother you again mate --- a couple more things

What did it cost to get the tank made?

water out? what do you do? i notice you have another pipe running out i assume thats the overflow.. do you just bucket the water out later? wondering if its possible too sit the tank a little higher of the floor and have a drain in the bottom.. hmmm just finished my boat and now i want to do as you have-- LOOKS GREAT

also powder coating, What price?

A very smart looking job .. i injoyed putting all the floors etc in my boat was getting bored now that it in finished.. this looks like it could give me a little something more to do... :wacko:

Cheers Evan,

post-610-1116419219_thumb.jpg

post-610-1116419244_thumb.jpg

Guest Jewel

Slick!!!

Who said a silk purse couldnt be made from a pigs ear!!!! (no disrespect intended!!)

An exceptional effort mate! :thumbup: