Fitting Stainless Rod Holders To Alloy Boat

cut_loose

Hey Raiders

Any tricks to the trade of fitting stainless rod holders to alloys boats ? I got some and i want fit em up, but just making sure the metals won't react or anything.

Also, Gary,mate what's the rough cost of a alloy or stainless rocket launchers made to clip onto a bimini ? Around 6 - 8 is enough holders, i don't like the ones in the boat shop, it must fold down with the bimini.

Thanks for any help. :thumbup:

Hey Raiders

Any tricks to the trade of fitting stainless rod holders to alloys boats ? I got some and i want fit em up, but just making sure the metals won't react or anything.

Also, Gary,mate what's the rough cost of a alloy or stainless rocket launchers made to clip onto a bimini ? Around 6 - 8 is enough holders, i don't like the ones in the boat shop, it must fold down with the bimini.

Thanks for any help. :thumbup:

if u go with 316 stainless with rod holders u should not have any drama's with corosion if it isnt i would place a rubber gasket in each rod holder to make sure there is no contact. Talk to gary he is the man for custom rocket launchers! there is no substitute for qaulity!

good luck! :thumbup:

Edited by mc fishn

did the same sort of thing with my quinny

put 4 ss rod holder in

i made sure they all had the rubber backing on them and also used dulac (the joining compond stuff)

been a few years now and no dramas at all with them

i also know of other people the put a bit of wood inbetween and that helped riase them up and ment none of that two diffrent metals touching things going on

first fitt the rod holders making shore there is no metal to metal contact then remove the holders and prime and paint all holes or anyware there is no paint

this is important so no salt gets under the paint and makes it bubble that is what happens to most boats because the holes drilled for hand rails and the like were never primed and painted before instalation

next make up some gaskets for under the rod holder and ontop off the backing plate

when you have all that done get some marine silicon and smear it on the gaskets thinly and also on the bolts fit the unit and tension the bolts not to tight you do'nt wont the gasket squeasing out from under the flanges

a quick wipe with a rag to remove any excess silicon and bobs your uncle

ps i always use locksons nuts the ones with nilon inserts so they never work loose

as for a bolt on rodholder for you bimini you would be looking at around $600.00 but some thing to look at is the rail mounted rod holders on jewgaffers boat there made in nz by a company called teenob and look to be a quality unit

cheers gary