Why Have 2 Engines

fisherdad

There are some days when you wished your boat was single engine. Like when your getting a quote for work to be done and you think the price sounds good anh you hear those words "times two"

Then there is last Friday, 4 mile out idling around looking for bait balls and the port motor takes a splutter and stops, cranks over, sounds

like it's flooded but it just won't start.

It gets better as I had the whole team from work on the boat who know I am a mechanic and nothing I do gets it to run, so day not wasted just pull lures between fishing spots

Well one rat king caught and returned , one Bonnie and I dud engine for a Friday off work.

Saturday I discovered it to be the ignition condenser so new one fitted and happy ready for another go Sunday only to get to the lighthouse outside botany bay for the new condenser to fail.

Limped back into port for the second time this time with 2 bonito

So ask me one engines or 2 and I will tell you about not needing to be towed twice.

Hi David, sorry to hear that mate but as I am sure you will be aware to have two failures on the one part is either very unlucky or more likely there is a cause of these failing condensors and you will need to find it otherwise it will continue to happen. As for Lucky, I do not understand your first post and we see all technologies (carbys, DI, 4-Strokes and inboards) having failures and how an engine is looked after by the owner, will at the end of the day, be the biggest factor in engine reliabilty.

As for the orginal question, yes I ask myself that too when some twin rigs come thru here and the way the hull has ben made with only one fuel supply-it sort of defeats the purpose because more and more issues now days are fuel related so no matter what engine/brand is powering the hull if they are both drinking the same fuel you will be in trouble.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey, indeed we are agreed that the single most important aspect of reliability is proper, regular maintenance. On other matters, please accept that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Hi Lucky, of course you are and I never said you are not, but that is very broad statement you made and I bet there are alot more 2-Strokes outboards of all brands and age being used on the water than the newer technology that the EPA forced upon us and you made the statement relating to the way an engine derives its power when the question was about whether one or two engines are better and as it turns out the engines in question are 4-Strokes.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey, indeed we are agreed that the single most important aspect of reliability is proper, regular maintenance. On other matters, please accept that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Lucky does that mean in your opinon the only motor to have is a four stroke.

Huey

Fuel is certainly a concern, on the Bertram we have 2 completely separate engines all the way to totally separate electrical systems. Even if one system totally fails you still have the other.

I do have twin pickups but only one tank so One lot of dirty fuel and it's all over. So yes when the engine spluttered to a stop my first concern was in fact the other engine, would it stop.

Twin motor, Single tank, silly design

Lucky does that mean in your opinon the only motor to have is a four stroke.

The question was is it better to have two engines not what type.

Stay on the topic or this thread will be closed.

That means you in particular ....... Lucky !!!!

Admin

• 1 month later...

Hi David I currently have only one motor on my boat .The result being that I had to wait some 4 hours in blazing sun ,for a tow. CDI decided to stop working after 20 years. Lucky this happened on a fresh water lake.

Out at sea I have also prefer 2 x motors even with the higher running cost . Better than waiting for hours to get towed .

Love this quote of yours : " So ask me one engines or 2 and I will tell you about not needing to be towed twice." So true