Finally My Turn To Report On A Jewie.

humesy

You fellow Central Coasters will read this report with a knowing smirk. A few months ago i swapped this post-1006-024524300 1292163468_thumb.jpg for this post-1006-063444600 1292163892_thumb.jpg.

Needless to say, a bloody great move. Once the boxes were unpacked and work finished for the year, it was time to chase jewies. Twice this week I was up at 3.30 to put the boat in at Patonga. 24 hrs fishing time in total spent on the hawkesbury for not even a run.

Tonight after seeing some friends off, it was time to hit the calmer waters of Brisbane Waters. I had some left over yakkas and 1 squid. Having put in at Woy Woy, I soon noticed schools of tailor busting up on the surface. They were all around the magic 30cm mark and I managed to spin up two of the to go down as livies. Spot one didn't seem likely so I anchored up in spot 2 and deployed baits in a fast current. Low tide was the main target and after a couple of eels pinched a few precious baits, the current began to slow. Then the sweet sound we live for, a long run with heavy drag followed by headshakes. It could only mean one thing and as I was in open waters, i could remain relatively calm (for a change). He had a few good runs in him before it was finally time to christen the gaff that has adorned my three boats over several years. The result a beautiful jewie; 10kgs cleaned and 105cm. Very very stoked :yahoo: .

post-1006-076182500 1292165315_thumb.jpg

Cheers from God's country

well done

• 3 weeks later...

You fellow Central Coasters will read this report with a knowing smirk. A few months ago i swapped this post-1006-024524300 1292163468_thumb.jpg for this post-1006-063444600 1292163892_thumb.jpg.

Needless to say, a bloody great move. Once the boxes were unpacked and work finished for the year, it was time to chase jewies. Twice this week I was up at 3.30 to put the boat in at Patonga. 24 hrs fishing time in total spent on the hawkesbury for not even a run.

Tonight after seeing some friends off, it was time to hit the calmer waters of Brisbane Waters. I had some left over yakkas and 1 squid. Having put in at Woy Woy, I soon noticed schools of tailor busting up on the surface. They were all around the magic 30cm mark and I managed to spin up two of the to go down as livies. Spot one didn't seem likely so I anchored up in spot 2 and deployed baits in a fast current. Low tide was the main target and after a couple of eels pinched a few precious baits, the current began to slow. Then the sweet sound we live for, a long run with heavy drag followed by headshakes. It could only mean one thing and as I was in open waters, i could remain relatively calm (for a change). He had a few good runs in him before it was finally time to christen the gaff that has adorned my three boats over several years. The result a beautiful jewie; 10kgs cleaned and 105cm. Very very stoked :yahoo: .

post-1006-076182500 1292165315_thumb.jpg

Cheers from God's country

Very nice and interesting swop !! I can only dream of such a swop enjoy !!

• 1 month later...

Awesome Fish! Congrats!

Being new to the addictive thrill of fishing i love seeing this as i have got myself a small tinnie and have just started to put the boat in on weekends at Patonga. I generally head straight across to Flint and Steel. (Following the crowd). I am getting a heap of squire using bait. I’m really looking to get my teeth into something bigger with more fight. a King fish / bonito etc would be awesome.

I have grabbed a few Gulp soft plastics and a Berkeley MF50 vibe and am going to give them a go this weekend.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Locations, lures etc.