What Was In The Air On Sunday

pstern

Out fishing yesterday on a perfect day off Pittwater. The nor'easter came in about midday. Then the air became full of single strands like vertical spiderweb, some with little tufts of fluff on their ends. They were up to half a meter in length. On my yacht, this mysterious stuff got caught on the rigging, making the boat a little like the boat from zombieland.

This material was blowing in the wind all afternoon and into the evening. I thought maybe it was baby spiders being blown about, but the tufts did not contain anything. It did not appear to be plant material. They weren't the usual "santas" that float down the wind, hardly ever hitting the water. "Santas" are globular and contain fine grass seeds. These were quite different, strands hanging vertically in the air and like nothing I have never seen before after many years on the water.

Did anyone else see this and does anyone know what it was?

Back on topic, caught some nice taylor in the Basin on Saturday night. Unusually, no bream.

Peter

had them all over my boat and hundreds of little spiders crawling everywhere too

I experienced the same thing. I was going nuts with webs attaching to me all day. I thought my boat had become a spider nest or something! So bizarre they were airborne like that!

It happens around end of Nov, 1st week of Dec every year out west on my property a

couple of hours past Dubbo. I was there last week and was surprised not to see it

happen for the 1st time. Usualy you see thousands of these single strand web like

things attached to fences and gates. They usualy hang there horizontaly waiting for

us to ride past on our motorbikes and get covered in it. :ranting2:

Looks like Sydney copped it this year instead.

cheers

Peter, i mentioned this in an earlier post in fishing reports. They actually came in on the brief nor west front we had before it swung back to nor east. Our boat was surrounded by butterflies and dragonflies and all these little insects, by the time i had looked up our 45 footer was covered in the strands, rods, aerials outriggers anything vertical was covered. All i can put it down to is with the amount of varying weather inland it has created ideal spawning conditions. All these little bugs have been caught in a large updraft and sent on higher winds to the coast. It is the actuall reversal of what causes seabreezes. Thats what i reckon anyway.

About 20 years ago I remember fishing out of port Hacking and we had heaps of little light weight rocks dropping into the boat. They were like pumice stone and lots of moored vesells in the river had them also.

yeh i did notice this but didnt pay to much attention to it there were also heeps of little spiders i just thought that it was from my boat not being used much but yeh strange hey

I had a similar experience and thoughts on Saturday night near Bar Island. Heaps of tiny single strand webs

Actually couldnt stop laughing because one of my mates had his shirt off and was covered in sunscreen. As soon as the little spiders started dropping out of the sacks they obviously started falling everywhere and sticking to my m8, the spider dance is a funny thing to watch :074::074::074: