Cobia ? Wtf!

RodHolder

That was the responce I got from a friend, when I sent him this photo this morning.

50cm COBIA........

Of the beach in Brighton, Botany Bay in 2 mtrs of water, on a 3" Gulp minnow.

Mate, thats awesome! I saw a guy get a spangled emperor looking thing off Balmoral warf recently i had the same reaction as your mate!

Just about anything is possible these days isnt it. Stopping the commercial fishing aswell as cleaner water ways is the best thing ever to happen.

well done!

Musty

Thats the third Cobia i have heard of being caught around Sydney recently and all have come from well inside the systems. Also, whilst over at Jibbon last week collecting squid we saw a Manta ray cruising the surface as well, definitiley some strange fish showing up at the moment.

R

Thats the third Cobia i have heard of being caught around Sydney recently and all have come from well inside the systems. Also, whilst over at Jibbon last week collecting squid we saw a Manta ray cruising the surface as well, definitiley some strange fish showing up at the moment.

R

probably because they are migrating south maybe.

Sounds like a precious. Are they available in fishmarket? Really want to taste it.

Cheers, Phil :thumbup:

I believe they are sold in the market, under the name ling fish. White meat.

I remember having them grilled, the meat was firm and chewy. DOnt think the fish shop did it justice.

Wasnt to my liking anyway.

Nice catch OP, did it put up a good fight?

from what i know, there is no size or bag limit on Cobia but i very strongly believe that Fisheries should introduce and bring in a size and bag limit on them and for them.

yes i will agree to they are awesome eating as i know myself that it is true and they do give a good fight although i got my 1 on a Saltiga reel and a jig stick Saltiga and i was not fishing full drag or lock up, i landed it with in i would say 5mins or less.

i think that if they are present which as the photo show's and somewhere where it was caught i think it mean's good water temp and good water quality to - i think.

ADMIN AND MOD'S WITH-OUT BEING RUDE AT ALL OR ANYTHING, MY APOLOGIES AS THIS (BELOW) IS A BIT OFF-TOPIC THOUGH IN RELATION TO A DEGREE ON THIS SUBJECT. PLEASE ADVISE IF YOU WANT ME TO DELETE IT OR NOT OR IF YOUR ABLE TO DELETE IT AND FEEL THAT BEING THE REASON THEN PLEASE DO.

i think it was 2 year's ago now that i went to South West Rock's with 2 friend's fishing for a week. What i remember is that we were one crew who did well and got a nice good mixed bag, from memory in one day we got = 1 spotted mackerel as we were hoping for a bit more then 1 which i got and truth be told caught not on a wire trace but on a live baiting rig with 60lb leader, we got 2 nice Cobia around and close to 20kg's each maybe a little bit more and i lost a big one which i was not happy about at all, we got some kings, 1 of my friend's got a nice Jew estimated at 10kg's i think as i can not remember what size we estimated the jew at but there is and was absolutely no way it was above 13kg's, my other friend got a nice snapper which from memory was estimated 2-3kg's, we got some rat fin as well and 1 of my friends dropped a jig down, jig....jig....jig....jig....jig......, WHACK, ended up being a nice Mac that unfortunately got sharked and he got back just the head of the mac - truth be told that was all in one day. I believe that that week we were there the water temp and water quality was absolutely perfect and i think (though i am not 100 per cent sure) that maybe we happened to be in the right place and the right spot at the right time, maybe, maybe not as it could of been the captain's idea to go to where we got the fish at the spot we fished. But i must say hat's off to the Captain and Skipper Dean cause with-out him i don't think that would of happened.

Edited by Sam-8862