Catching Bonito

vo2c88

Hey Guys,

I was on the water on sunday and saw a school of what i believe to be bonito on the surface just as i was heading out towards the heads.We were trolling 4 lures but no strikes what so ever.

I had a range of lures from the rapal xrap to a metal slice and some feather trolling lures.Ive been hearing alot about the bonito in the bay and wouldnt mind catching a few just for fun.

Could someone please inform me where these bonitos are being caught and on what.

Regards

Hey Guys,

I was on the water on sunday and saw a school of what i believe to be bonito on the surface just as i was heading out towards the heads.We were trolling 4 lures but no strikes what so ever.

I had a range of lures from the rapal xrap to a metal slice and some feather trolling lures.Ive been hearing alot about the bonito in the bay and wouldnt mind catching a few just for fun.

Could someone please inform me where these bonitos are being caught and on what.

Regards

I have seen people catching a few at como bridge. i hope it helps.

Hey Guys,

Regards

Hi Mate,i caught a couple in the Pittwater on sunday. Using a rapala cd-7 got good results.

Rgds

Just a second opinion for you VO,

If the bonito are actively feeding on the surface try casting small metals at them in about 10gram size rather than trolling through them as it will often send them down. besides its more fun anyway.

I pulled in a few bonito out of the harbour on friday and it was a fish a cast on my bream gear with a 10 gram slug.

Hope that helps

Hi Mate,i caught a couple in the Pittwater on sunday. Using a rapala cd-7 got good results.

Rgds

Hi there -

We have been getting plenty of bonito and kings in the bay over the past weeks. The bonito are jumping all over the small metal slices.

Just grab some 10 to 15g chrome slices... with the small slices working better for us.

Just find the feeding schools and cast towards the edges (as the chopper tailor are in the middle) and retrieve back like crazy.....sooner or later a bonnie will jump on.

Once caught make sure you bleed them right away and they make great sashimi

Hope this helps

Cheers

Trung

Mate as they said , there is that many of them around at the moment and they are really easy to catch . Me and 2 other mates went out recently and had 10 each in about an hour ! The bait freezer is now stocked :thumbup:

Just find the birds or look for the bait getting busted up , motor up next to the school ( don't go into the school ) and cast those small to medium metal slugs into them . Let the slug sink for about 5 to 10 seconds then wind as fast as you can . It wont take long at all and you will be amongst them .

You can easily catch them on small christmas trees trolling but is faster and more fun to cast at them .

Good luck I am sure that if you try these methods you will be a bonito bandit very fast ! :yahoo:

Cheers

Edited by Slink

Thanks Guys your help is much apreciated.

You think trolling at a walking pace is the go when trolling for them also, or should you be going a little faster than normal?

Ill make sure to get a couple of metals to cast at them this weekend.

Cheers

Vic