Cracked The Metre Mark

The Poacher

Hi Raiders,

Took my 2 brothers-in-law out for a fish this morning. There were plenty of live baits in the Haven, so got at least a dozen. Then tried for 15 minutes for squid unsuccessfully. I had heard about a good land based spot at my wifes Christmas party where I had successfully located the only other fisho present amongst at least 40 female school teachers. (true, and I didn't even want to go to it). So I pointed the boat there as I knew the spot but had never seriously fished it. Anyway, set up my trusty old eggbeater with a live yakka and the poor mans downrigger. Also set up a larger yakka (no lead) on the 24kg stand up outfit. So with one up and one down, we started a slow troll. 10 minutes later we trolled into about 8M of water and we had just turned to head out when the eggbeater got smashed, the king took 20M of line then the hook came out. Oh well, we re-set and worked the same spot again, this time the eggbeater goes off again, my brother in law grabs the rod and with line disappearing starts winding in. I gave him a few minutes but when it became clear this was a good fish I took the rod off him, and cranked the drag up to max. meanwhile the standup outfit screams off, and the other brother in law grabs it - well at least he tries because he could not get it out of the holder for quite a while. Eventually he pulls it out then gets physically dragged around the back of the boat. I was fishing the standup with really heavy drag, whilst my little eggbeater was defiantly softly softly approach. I just kept him swimming around mid water, which was only really 11M, so for most of the fight I could see the fish. Luckily we had drifted onto sand, and I think the one time my king got to the bottom, he hit sand and kind of gave up that approach. Super lucky really, no clever boat driving involved. Anyway, just as my br-in-lw started to get on top of his fish, the hook pulled. My fish slowly started to come up but he doggedly kept at these min runs near the boat. I must have got the leader up 15 times, only for him to swim off. I could see the hook in the corner of the mouth, though it didn't look super secure. I knew the bottom wasn't really the issue now, so I just hoped it held. Eventually after my br-in-lw tried to subdue it by hitting it with the reverse side of the gaff (????), he came up head first and I got a good shot on him and into the boat.

On the brag mat he went 111cm and beat my other PB of 90cm easily. Once I stopped shaking, I actually felt a bit melancholy for a great fish and wished I had been game enough to let her go, and live with the memories alone. I had the same thing happen on a big barra too. Writing this I still feel it, and the next one I get that size will go back.

We kept fishing and we got a 75cm fish and a decent bonito. They were still there but not biting as the sun was well up now. A live squid would have got them going again. I even tried the garfish/pink squid rig from this months fishing world, but to no avail.

See you on the water. and Happy New Year.

post-5073-082167700 1293688527_thumb.jpg

The Poacher

It was bad enough seeing that first photo of you holding that monster king!

Then you post a picture of it on the brag mat!!! Now I feel even more jealous!

Seriously, congratulations on smashing your pb! :thumbup:

Great report Poacher! Fantastic read!

Cheers

Peter

Hi,

Thanks for your support and comments. I was excited about the fish, but I couldn't wait to post it either.

I was fishing out of Terrigal which is just north of Sydney. I agree with your "persistence pays off.. quote", I cant tell you the times the bigger fish ate the under-gunned outfit, or they make the bottom or the hook pulls at the boat. One things for sure, if you stick at it, then eventually it will come good.

The Poacher.

CONGRATS !

SOO SOO Jealous cos all we have here in off Sydney and Botany Bay are undersized.

Great effort in landing your PB

Keep it up and may your New Year bring even bigger ones.

You cant catch fish unless you have a line and hook in the water