Wooden Spinning Reel

mottyman

Hi Guys,

This is currently listed on Ebay.

post-237-1116301065_thumb.jpeg

You can read about it here:

Ebay Listing

Just wondering if anyone's heard of it. It's listed as a collectors item and bidding starts at $1250.00 :1yikes:

Not that I'm intersted in buying it but I've never heard of a wooden spinning reel before and thought I'd ask what you guys think. I think it's just amazing and kinda cool that someone made them :thumbup::thumbup: Evidently there were 1000 manufactured by hand at the rate of a couple a week :thumbup::thumbup:

Any collectors out there?? :1naughty::1naughty:

Cheers,

You can still buy the Sea Martin, just not the wooden one. They are an interesting reel, never met anyone that actually owned one though.

Matt

47972[/snapback]

Some where in collection of old mags I have an article on the seamartin... but you think I can find it now :ranting2:

Anyway Matt you are right they still make them the same as before but not timber.

Cheers

Trev

post-688-1116324231_thumb.jpg

Guest bluecod

I know a bloke who lives around Epping and fishes the South coast regularly who uses one of them - ungainly looking things on a rod but they seem to work very well and can cast a fair distance.

G`day Fellas ,

Yeah , I met a fella up here last year with a Sea Martin reel , also not a wooden one , and it worked magnificently .

From memory , I think he said it was somewhere about 20 odd years old , and luckily , he managed to find another reel at a garage sale a few years back at Bowral ,so he now has a spare for a back up .

Though I gotta say , when I used it for a cast ot two , It was rock solid , and almost no play anywhere .

A bit heavy , felt unbreakable , and also felt like top gear.

Mick