Carbon-Graphite Japanese Fishing poles

nsaykali

been fishing useing a 6m fishing pole since i was about 7 years old, 27 now and the older style fibreglass poles weigh a tonne compared to the latest carbon-graphite japanese fishing poles.

i bought one from an overseas trip about 4 years ago, but unfortunately something big and powerful (pelagic) hooked onto the end of the line and snapped the rod in half...

those unfamilier with this style of fishing, Basically its a 6m+ long fishing pole with eaqule length of fishing line, with a float splitshot and 2 hooks.... No reel, just the flexibality of the rod and strength of your line.

been looking all over the internet and have ring a few reputable tackleshops, but Noone stocks the high quality carbon graphite poles, only the elcheapo fibreglass types.

anyone know of a place that has them or can order them?

please send a pm with details

thanks!

Edited by nsaykali

This type of set up in Australia is called the ned kelly rig and the only people i have seen practise this form of fishing in Australia is people of a Lebanese background they love to target BLACK TREVALLY under small floats and BREAM ETC.You could try some of the fishing shops run by Koreans in Sydney i am sure they could put you onto some connections for buying one of these poles your after good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

in the Jap Daiwa cattle dog they have a boat load of those type rods ranging to several thousand dollars :1yikes:

must be orderable here or send an email to one of the big jap shops once you checked what sort of model your after.

in the Jap Daiwa cattle dog they have a boat load of those type rods ranging to several thousand dollars :1yikes:

must be orderable here or send an email to one of the big jap shops once you checked what sort of model your after.

can you please pm me the link

thankyou

• 1 year later...

been fishing useing a 6m fishing pole since i was about 7 years old, 27 now and the older style fibreglass poles weigh a tonne compared to the latest carbon-graphite japanese fishing poles.

i bought one from an overseas trip about 4 years ago, but unfortunately something big and powerful (pelagic) hooked onto the end of the line and snapped the rod in half...

those unfamilier with this style of fishing, Basically its a 6m+ long fishing pole with eaqule length of fishing line, with a float splitshot and 2 hooks.... No reel, just the flexibality of the rod and strength of your line.

been looking all over the internet and have ring a few reputable tackleshops, but Noone stocks the high quality carbon graphite poles, only the elcheapo fibreglass types.

thanks!

Hey nsaykali,

Seems that we are both hooked on the same form of fishing. It's a shame that it is very difficult to find good quality poles here in Australia, however the largest market for this form of fishing is the English (UK) market. They have gone far and beyond the ordinary 6.0m fising whip to using 16m elasticated poles. The common name for these poles are; fishing whips/margin poles (this is if the pole is <8.0m) and simply an elasticated pole (>8.0m). Poles greater than 8.0m are usually elasticated, as the elastic running through the pole's top section aids when playing larger fish. I have two fishing whips, an abu garcia, which is built on a composite blank and is 8.0m long; and a 5.3m daiwa pole (graphite). I usually fish with the daiwa due to the weight advantage. Let me know if your ever around Sydney, as I can't find anyone that enjoys this form of fishing beside myself. By the way, I know this may sound a little common, but try purchasing through an online supplier. You could probably pick up a nice 8-10m pole delivered for under AUD$200.

PM me for a session.

Cheers,

Ziad

thanks!

I watched Extreme Fishing the other week where they travelled to Japan to fish. They used something which is very similar to what you described. Difference was, the pole itself was extendable. Before extending the pole, it was about a meter long, and fully extended was something like 6 meters, cant remember. But they did say, it was around $3000 (pounds or euro not sure - presenter I think is British)

I found more info on it.

The Japanese catch these little fish called Ayu.

The style of fishing is called "ayu-no-tomozuri"

I found these links:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/manasan/english/keiryuu/ayu.htm

http://furusato-gujotv.jp/english/053.html

Ultra lightweight extendable 30ft+ rods, between $2000USD and $4000USD.

I found more info on it.

The Japanese catch these little fish called Ayu.

The style of fishing is called "ayu-no-tomozuri"

I found these links:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/manasan/english/keiryuu/ayu.htm

http://furusato-gujotv.jp/english/053.html

Ultra lightweight extendable 30ft+ rods, between $2000USD and $4000USD.

Good find The Incredible Hull. I watched that episode too and enjoyed Robson's antics. Although these are similar to conventional margin poles, I do believe that they only serve a niche market; those chasing Ayu. Although similar, I reckon that they would have little use here in AUS; as those lightweight Ayu fishing poles would have difficulty landing and controlling a bream; let alone a rampaging mullet, or better yet a drummer. Have a look at this website that I have found http://www.tackle2u.com/pole-fishing/margin-poles-whips.html. And yes to confirm, some poles are expensive; with some Daiwa models fetching 5,000 British Pounds or so. However, you can still find something within your budget, and a quality pole can still be bought for around $200.00 AUD.

Further, I haven't purchased from the above store, nor am I affiliated with them, so I can't comment on their service, etc. But they are one of the cheapest that I have found on-line. Hope this helps nsaykali.