Daiwa Reel Servicing

Yaulpang

G'day all,

Been enjoying the posts and articles, great stuff.

I bought a Daiwa proshooter 4000 in Jan and was enjoying it until the bail stopped snapping shut after casting. This happened 4 months after purchase so I took it back to the retailer (Freddys fishing world Auburn).

4 weeks later I got it back, simular experience as Swoffa, but at least it was fixed.

So I thought. 3 weeks later same problem. This time though I contacted Daiwa directly through the Fishraider forum.

The sales manager is Evan Spary and he looked after everything so this time 10 days later it's delivered to my door as promised and all fixed so if you have warranty problems send it straight to Daiwa and give Evan Spary a PM.

Thanks for that Evan.

Good weekend all,

Paul.

Howdy people

I've got a Certate being repaired atm, jeez it better not take 4months! Seriously though, I've had my daiwa's in for service heaps (I just drop them in at Otto's) and I usually get it back in a week or two at most. Once I even got one back in 3 days, but that was exceptional! Maby I've just been lucky? (better not count my chickens, no word on my Certate yet...)

Cheers

Brent

• 4 weeks later...
My probelms were caused by the reel spending 30 minutes at the bottom of Port Hacking, they're only waterproof for so long...  :1prop:

49164[/snapback]

Swoffa, how did you reel end up trying to be a submarine? I've seen a whole lot of pics and ads that show a saltwater fly fisho dunk his outfit in the drink while taking photos of his prize bonefish. I guess even the Certate cannot cop the abuse that those high end large arbour reels can...

Guest bluecod

Swoffa,

I'm not having a go at you with the comments that follow, but I think an important lesson for newbies can be learned from the quote

I put it down with a lure in the water while I netted a fish for ko-i, a fish grabbed it and pulled the lot in. It took about half an hour to recover.

53887[/snapback]

Murphy's law - expect the unexpected and it wouldn't have happened if the rod was first put into a rod holder

The reel is still pretty rough after being back to Daiwa 4 times. Apparently they don't have the equipment needed to service the Certate here yet, it needs to be pressurised when put back together.

53887[/snapback]

I can appreciate upper quality gear, but when its as highly tuned as a Formula 1, it only takes one part to be slightly out for frustration to set in - for those on restricted budgets [and that is most of us] and/or not sponsored, there's another word that needs to be figured into the calculations = ROBUST.

If you're happy to constantly have the reel serviced/tuned, for sure go for the pick of the crop, but if you want no hassle gear, first make sure the thing will go the distance you want it to.

Swoffa,

I'm not having a go at you with the comments that follow, but I think an important lesson for newbies can be learned from the quote

Murphy's law - expect the unexpected and it wouldn't have happened if the rod was first put into a rod holder

I can appreciate upper quality gear, but when its as highly tuned as a Formula 1, it only takes one part to be slightly out for frustration to set in - for those on restricted budgets [and that is most of us] and/or not sponsored, there's another word that needs to be figured into the calculations = ROBUST.

If you're happy to constantly have the reel serviced/tuned, for sure go for the pick of the crop, but if you want no hassle gear, first make sure the thing will go the distance you want it to.

53993[/snapback]

Bluecod, I don't know about Swoffa's problems, but there is no way that a cheaper thredline reel is as robust as a Certate. The only problem that I have ever had with a top end Daiwa is roller-bearings going a bit noisy after a reasonable time period. It is simply replaced and/or lubed and the reel is as good as new. Roller bearings go on any thredline reel (including the cheaper shimanos and daiwas that I own), hence Bombies comments re teflon washers being preferred by some.

Cheers

Brent

As a side issue I noticed that Certates are listed as a Freshwater reel on the Diawa website. Does that mean they wont last in the salt ? Does it affect their warranty if used in the salt ?

As a side issue I noticed that Certates are listed as a Freshwater reel on the Diawa website. Does that mean they wont last in the salt ? Does it affect their warranty if used in the salt ?

54059[/snapback]

They are a saltwater reel, CRBB gives that away. Which website are you looking at?

cheers

Chrus

54059[/snapback]

By the way, this is mentioned as an attribute of the Certate reels from that Daiwa website:

Washable

Intensive studies of saltwater influence have resulted in the development of a washable construction for saltwater use. A water 'duct' at the bottom of reel allows effective water discharge and simplifies maintenance by allowing the reel to be washed after use, without concern for drainage.