Feeding your addiction

Rafinx

Hi guys ive just been racking my brain on how much ive spent on fishing, and why I keep continuing to spend money on it.

So far ive spend around $3700 including my boat 2 grand spent on it. Most expensive rod so far is my T-curve blue water 10-15kg with a bait runner 8000D spooled with 30lb braid which is kingies and Jewies.

Now guys rules for this is, I wanna know the max money spent on your gear not including bait. please specify if you bought a boat and price of it, then tell us the most expensive rod, and any thing else you would want to share with the rest of fish raider eg. ( what type of fishing your into ) Cheers -Carl

Edited by Rafinx

haha not hard to break the bank balance on a good set up and fishing gear boat ect,

most exspensive combo i have is stella on xzoga retail about $1,600 including 80lb braid i have about 30 combo's (a whole room in my 3x bedroom house is just fishing gear)

i tend to not spend to much on the boat as long as its reliable. i just cant justify buying a new boat. my 15ft boat owes me 6k. a new boat is 25-30k. i generally rebuild a older solid boat to suit my fishing needs.

i must have spent 50 k with my tiagras and stellars not 2 mention lures line hooks i mite be abit more than 50k and still buying more fishing gear i cant walk into a tackle shop with out spending $100 and thats just on squid jigs and the list goes on

dont have to worry bout the wife reading as i dont have 1 just worried that my mother will lol

I guess its a bad thing to ask people the amount they have spent on fishing gear. I was just curious, because im new at taking fishing seriously, about 1 year in even tho ive been fishing for 10 yrs, and ive spend alot

Mate fishing is like women and their shoes / bags, you can never have enough. The way you get around buying heaps of fishing gear is you let the Mrs :wife: buy as much shoes and bags as she wants then when it come to your turn for some fishing bling nothing more needs to be said :biggrin2::yahoo:

Ok, I will give this a go, and someone can add it up.

Boat $10,000

New floor $800

New rear seat $800

New winch $80

New lights $140

New nuts and bolts SS $100 (floors, winch, etc)

Garmin fish finder $400

12v $15

Spare wheel $80

Cabin lights $80

Bilge pump $50

Jockey Wheel $60

Number plate $38 (needed a new one :P)

Little bits and pieces easy ($100)

Grease pump $60

Tackle box $100

Rod 1 $189 + 269 (set up)

3x Shimano reels @$59

1 rod and reel $120

1 reel $135

beach rod set up $120

rod $80

rod$30, reel $40

rod $90 reel $80

rod $70 reel $60

rod $30 reel $40

Lures and all that jazz im not adding!

Mate fishing is like women and their shoes / bags, you can never have enough. The way you get around buying heaps of fishing gear is you let the Mrs :wife: buy as much shoes and bags as she wants then when it come to your turn for some fishing bling nothing more needs to be said :biggrin2::yahoo:

Mate you just solved mans biggest problem, let all households now hold peace XD.

what a great topic... i can add to this as ive got the same problem.....

30k for the boat

with at least 5k spent on extra's.

$1000 on eagle FF which blew up after 2 yrs

$2000 on furuno combo... which was worth every penny

55k for my new hilux

Saltiga 6500 DF with nitro widow maker $1500

Gamagakstu jig rod and daiwa catalina 4500 $1000

Tournment Z rod with exist $1000

Zion rod with Daiwa TDR 3012 $600

Nitro viper with penn applause 8000 $500 (wanna buy a certate custom 4000 one day)

2* shimano tekota o/h $500

2* saltist 50 o/h $600

2* rapala jig rods $450

Nitro extreme gulf $400

At least 8 ugly stick rods ( brought at the start of the addiction) $120 each

A few Pfluger trion rod $450

A couple of shimino sedona $300

Alot of squid jigs and skirts, hard bodies, bibless, SP and a hell of alot of braid over the yrs.....etc etc

I can say i pretty much spend a pretty penny on my hobby. Theres no one to stop me spending as my GF loves the sport too :biggrin2:

What an interesting question - over the years I am sure thousands as everytime I venture near a tackle shop I always have to buy something!!!

Most recently (November) purchased first ever boat new so $46K gone and now buying lots of little bits and pieces for it - however absolutely enjoying it.

You cant take it with you and as on eof the other raiders said above - i will never be rich!!!

Sido

Edited by Sido

SHHHHHHHHHH this is a thread I know the :wife: will read and I will have to sleep in the garage forever :tease:

Cheers Swordie

22k on boat +

68k on Pajero

@#$$# on fishing gear and still going strong

SHHHHHHHHHH this is a thread I know the :wife: will read and I will have to sleep in the garage forever :tease:

Cheers Swordie

22k on boat +

68k on Pajero

@#$$# on fishing gear and still going strong

Yes and that is being very conservative. i own about $2000 on custom made rods.

On a serious note fellas, do not pay the ultimate cost and lose your wife or girlfriend or family over an obsession. All things in moderation and it may take more than a handbag now and then :biggrin2:

You do not need all the bling to enjoy your fishing. So all of the members out there who simply cannot afford to spend the money (and there would be many) just enjoy and keep fishing :thumbup:

mrsswordie

In the last 6 months, $35k and counting. That includes $20k for the boat, about $10k on gear and $10k on other fun stuff.

What most people forget is the FUEL bill to go fishing, every time you head out, just imagine the dollar coins draining from your fuel tank :074:

It's best to hide your bank statement from the wife if you like to live.

Maybe it should be the worst purchase if you really want to know what sort of money people are spending on fishing....

My 2 are Radar for my boat, $20k (never used)

A weird Daiwa reel bought without seeing and understanding wtf it does...

IZE FACTORY MUGENN-ISHIDAI50HD $2100

Caught 1 tuna on it and busted a bunch more off. Turn the handle backwards and the drag goes up. Try control that on 50kg yellowfin!

Don't have to worry about the wifey thing since i bought NEXT! (my 28ft Contender) :biggrin2:

Edited by GregL

Well inturn I believe try to get your partner into fishing as, it becomes a fairly good bonding session, not to mention some one to carry some of the fishing gear, but yeah, Sara enjoys squidding, but at the moment she wants to catch actual fish, seeing as the squids arent around as much.

I've been teetering on the brink of buying a boat but have stepped back from the abyss as the family needs a bigger home.

Self control is the hardest thing to do! Now I fish with a handline.

Edited by Yaulpang

Spinning rods, jigging rods, squid rods, plastics rods, beach rods, boat rods...little reels, big reels, baitcaster Reels, mono line, braided line, leader line, hooks, sinkers, swivels, floats, spinning lures, hard bodies, SP's, blades and squid jigs.......(takes a breath :wacko: )....tackle bag, Lure bag, soft plastics bag, bait bag, yabbie pump, filliting knife, general knife, pillers, big touch, little touch, head lamp, ruler, brag mat, fish grips, fish gloves

Car, Boat, boat trailer, sounder, electric motor......boat rego, tralier rego, car rego....Boat petrol, car petrol, boat oil, car oil..boat licence, car licence, fishing licence....

Esky, cups, hats, shirts, pants, sunnies, boat shoes, rock shoes, sunscreen...

DVD's, magazines, internet...Does sickies off work (unpaid) contribute the the overall total ??....may as well throw more then a few of those in to :biggrin2:

Now.....times the lot by 2 .....hehehe :1prop:

Who knows what its all worth, but when you land that fish that you have planned to catch....its worth every single cent... :thumbup:

Edited by Hutts