Shimano Warranty

jahajo

Had a Shimano Starlo Stix gifted to me as a present just before christmas.

When rigging my line up i pulled some drag through the rod to give me some slack line and the rod tip snapped just below the 2nd runner from the top.

Is this breakage covered under warranty and if so how do i go about getting a new rod?

Cheers

Good luck with trying for a replacement - but ....... you should never pull line through the rod tip whilst holding the rod - only ever pull the line from in front of the reel & then pull the slack line thru the rod. Pulling line thru the rod tip (whilst holding the rod) will put the rod tip under extreme stresss & pressure that it wasn't built for & will often (if not always) result in breakages.

Same with 'testing' the 'bend of the rod' - never ever hold the tip of the rod & pull it down whilst holding the rod stationery, eg, handle on the floor (especially the modern graphite rods.) They will surely break! If you want to test the tension of your drag, get someone to stand in front of you (& you are holding the rod as if fishing) & get them to pull on the line (or the rod tip) in a downwards but forward motion (as if a fish is on) but NEVER pull the rod tip back towards the handle!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Don't feel bad I did the same thing to a brand new rod that never saw the water. I am waiting for the rep to come into my local tackle store to see what happens.

Fingers crossed he or she will take pitty on me and will be ringing me with good news soon.

i have had the same problem with a raider and a catana and shimano wer very nice about it and replaced it they said there mite have been a fracture in the graphite thats why i love shimano and just last week my 3 year old rack raider snapped and i took it 2 my local tackle shop and its getting replaced

Roberta was right on the money regarding your tip breaking, however it may not be entirely your fault sometimes you see people loading rods of the shelf in tackle shops inncorectly holding the rod between the tip and first runner instead of pinching the tip itself only and im sure plenty of these finnese style graphite sticks get fractured this way which might be the reason yours broke but try telling a rep this.

When you pulled line through your tip was your rod in a vertical position and did the reel have drag preasure when you pulled pull the line through the tip if so unfortunately this is due to your negligence.Usually when a tip breaks it is very hard to claim it under warranty anyway hope you can convince them to replace it for you.

i have just come back from having a quick fish and as i was casting my catana rod the rod snapped at the third guide. the only thing holding the 2 pieces of the rod together is the guide. i had a quick look at the shimano website and i notice that i need a proof of purchase to get the piece replaced. I bought it in 0ctober last year so i am still within the warranty period. I hope they can have a look at it and replace it for me. The shimano guys sound pretty fair from the previous posts.

Shimano are excellent, I've had a squidy stick replaced previously because of a loose cork grip and just prior to Christmas i took my reels in to get serviced and took my T-curve in as well because the little cap on the top of my top hand cork grip had come loose and i was just going to ask them to re-glue it for me...they swapped out the whole rod just cause the cap had come loose.....that's why I love Shimano...The fact that their head office if in the next suburb isn't bad either.

Edited by Poddy Trapper