A break from the Boat

DarrenC

Hi all,

Decided to leave the boat at home today, this whether calls for a fish and a swim in the pittwater WITHOUT the efort of launching and landing the Boat.

So Em end up landing her first ever, and then her second, Garfish and i get my best haul (12) of these little hook throwing, Ballistic Billfish. And a record, 36cm Garfish as well. They are my favourite target as they make good bait, good eating and the fight is unreal. They go nut... I love it.

See Ya.

post-8406-067084900 1296623290_thumb.jpg

post-8406-013026200 1296623303_thumb.jpg

Nice catch of gars there Mate, what rig/system did you use to catch them.

I have targeted them in the past by sitting on the front of a mates tiny at night and picking them up with a spot light and prawn net. If they realise something is wrong before getting them in a net they take off like a bullet so i imagine they'd be good fun on ultra-light gear.

R

I use two hooks (long shank size 8 or 6) on different length leaders coming off one swivel. A short length of line for a burley cage, swivel on top, snap swivel on botom (so this piece of line is removable) and a snap swivel at the end of my leader, and just a bobby float above that. Once the fish are content in front of me i take the burley cage off to lighten up the rig. Unless there is wind impeading my casting. Firmley squash bread on and when the float moves across the water, strike and wind and don't stop or even slow down untill they're on the sand. They only need the tention to drop a tiny bit and they'll throw the hook. They'll even jump in front of the float to get slack line.. They're smart!

ive always wanted to target them, but never knew where to find them, it would be something different, may have to read up on it. good stuff tho, they are a gun bait.

hey carl sometimes we were getting them at wallys warf in the day

ive always wanted to target them, but never knew where to find them, it would be something different, may have to read up on it. good stuff tho, they are a gun bait.

I've seen them from the boat many times at night off Jibbon and Bundeena, reckon the Bundeena ferry warf would be a good spot to target them land based in the Hacking.

Some guys i know call them 'Kingfish Lolly Pops', Reckon they love 'em. Also heard choppers do too. I don't know about jews though. I threw one out live on a beach once for a jew but came up with a flattie.

Good luck