Eastern suburbs fishing

Dingostema

Hello all, just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone here as I have just joined the forum.

I'm David, originally from London, 37 years old and have been fishing less than 10 times in my life. My birthday was in January and my girlfriend bought me my first rod, reel, rock boots and a few bits.

We live in Coogee in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney and after a couple of fishing trips with a mate (the rocks last Sunday during the day at Watsons Bay and last night off Coogee beach after dark) I think I may be getting the bug. I actually caught a couple of small fish off the beach with cheered me up!

I am hoping that the kind souls of this forum may from time to time, offer me a bit of advice. I have looked through older threads but cant see much that really recent.

Right now I am hoping to find any decent spots around the Eastern beaches (Maroubra to Bondi) where there may be any nice rock ledges where you can fish into the blue and not worry so much about snagging on rocks? Or any Jetty's or similar. I am not fishing for anything in particular but I would like to catch something that is good to eat.

Hoping to spend a few hours after work one evening each week . . . . . .

Thanks all, David

g'day David

i used to live in coogee (bit far nowdays though). i used to see people catching salmon off the beach during the evenings. There were also heaps of blokes chucking in a line from the top of the cliffs and around the baths in south coogee. I always wanted to fish lurline bay (between coogee and the bra) http://maps.google.com.au/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hl=en&q=lurline+bay&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

just be careful as gordons bay is a aquatic reserve - http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkHome.aspx?id=a0007

theres plenty of spots to fish, and quite a few people on here who do.

check this thread out: http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=13761

Hi David

I fish the Eastern Suburbs area almost exclusively and, I hate to tell you, you're chasing a location that doesn't really exist. There aren't any options that allow you to fish deep water without the risk of snags - they sort of go hand in hand when you're limited to fishing from the shore.

But that's not to say there aren't great fishing options in the East. If you're new to the sport and want to avoid the dreaded snags my advice would be to try beach fishing from Maroubra beach. It's a very productive fishing beach, especially between now and May, and as long as you use the right bait you'll be unlucky to come home without at least a few fish. And you'll never get snagged!

Best baits are:

1. Beachworms & Pippis: whiting, bream, flathead and salmon

2. Prawns: bream, flathead and salmon

3. Pilchards and Squid: Bream, Tailor, flathead and salmon

Occasionally you'll pick up another species like mullet, dart or luderick but they're not common. Keep your line light (no heavier than 15lb, and preferably more like 8lb), stick to high-tide and fish the gutters and holes (not the shallow sandbars) and you'll consistently catch fish.

If you want to become a rock-hopper you'll just have to accept that snags will be common until you get a lot of experience under your belt (or start fishing with floats).

Great, thanks for the advice. much appreciated. Do you ever fish in the evenings off the beaches? Also, how do you know where on say Maroubra beach is the best place to fish? I appreciate that this may depend on what fish I would like to catch but any of the edible species would appeal. Maybe once I have caught a few different fish i'll form more of an opinion on which species I favour.

I am using a simple setup of a 9 ft rod with a weight, swivel and hook. Is this the go? (sorry if I have crap terminology!)

Thanks.

Julienne in Malabar is great but u have to know when the conditions r right. It is quite deep there and u should always go with someone. i think when theres a NE wind/swell its the right time. x2 maroubra beach, either end as well but ive had more luck from the south end. On a good day, the north is great off the rocks but again, the conditions have to b right.

Hi Dave,

I was a rockhopper all through the 80s and 90s.

I know Lurline Bay, and the north Maroubra spots well.

I haven't fished there for a few years, but did onece get a 2KG plus bream at Lurline.

Trick is to fish light with a tiny sinker running right down to the hook - 1/0 or #1.

Best if you have a 12ft 4 wrap rod and run 3-4 Kg line. You get snagged every so often, but thats just part of the fun learning to tie knots in fine line in the dark!

Lurline works best when the wind is coming from the south and there is little swell.

PM me if you want to arrange a trip.

Cheers

Chris

Do you ever fish in the evenings off the beaches?

I only fish in the evenings as I work during the week and the beach is far too busy on the weekend for fishing during the day. Besides, when it comes to beach fishing the best time is the two hours right before dark anyway - better still when those hours co-incide with a high tide.

Sounds like your rig is fine - perfect for the beach. Just remember to tailor your sinker for the conditions, i.e. if it is rough with a lot of water moving you'll need a bigger sinker to hold the bottom, but when conditions are calm you will get away with a small sinker .

As for where to fish - you have to read the conditions. If the wind is blowing from the north then you'll need to be up the north end to stay out of it (and vice versa). If the wind is light you can set up anywhere on the beach - but best to look for areas where there is deep water wihin casting distance (i.e. the gutters and holes). The species listed above will be available from all parts of the beach, although bream do tend to congregate in the corners where the sand meets the rocks. The bottom line is that you just have to go out and fish - I could write thousands of words but it won't teach you even half of what three or four trips to the actual beach will. Local knowledge is gold.

I would avoid places like Julienne for now as it is very dangerous for the inexperienced. Actually it's also pretty dangerous for the experienced!!

Edited by Mondo

I was told by an old boy on the beech that it was a Bream then another fisherman told me it was a trevally so I have no idea!!

It was bloody delicious, oven baked with soy, lime, garlic, chilli. Its the first fish that I have caught, killed, descaled, gutted, cook and eaten which I am kind of proud of!

Cheers, D

Edited by Dingostema

Ahh Mate, if you cook like that then hot damn i'll be sending you fish to cook up for me :D

Yeah it looks like a Bream, yellow fins it looks like....bloody screen.

Grats on a whopper of a Fish.....did you measure and weigh it before you gutted it for your brag book?

David,

not a trevally not a bream but a very good tarwhine, difference between a bream and tarwhine is the nose notice it is more rounded the stomach lining would have been black and the vertical black stripes just noticeable. I rate them as one of the best eating fish caught off the rocks and beaches along with the old pigs!

Awesome catch buddy very nice indeed. :thumbup:

I caught my first fish decent edible fish on Coogee beach which I think is a Trevally????!!! Very proud indeed!!!

Mate thats neither a Trevally nor a Bream- Its a Tarwhine- nose is well rounded Bream have a slight pointy mouth set and the lips project forwards in the bigger fish (upwards of 35cm).

Sorry to burst ya bubble- still a great catch ya dont see too many tarwhine that big... biggest I ever seen was 55cm my mate caught from 5 Islands near Wollongong- she was a BEAST... and yours is no different! cracker match mate! :thumbup:

Anthony

:)

Great work there David - and the best part is you now know a good Tarwhine spot (which will almost certainly also be a good bream spot). Put that in the memory banks and get back out there to find your next new 'secret' spot!

That's the joy of fishing, and the priceless value of local knowledge.

One thing u should be proud about dingo is the amount of replies u have received from someone who has minimal posts!! I didn't expect so many anglers on here fish around the eastern suburbs land based. Should all get together someday for a great day out. Well done on ur catch mate.