North Head Kings that got away

spongy

Just a real quick report.

hit the harbour from my kayak this morning.

Found some kings near Old Mans Hat.

First one was solid and took a livie and head straight down. My 30Lb braid which was tied directly to the swivel failed. Never again will I take a short cut and not use any shock leader.

Second livie down, and this time Im guessing a big squid was interested and managed to steal my yakka.

I landed a fat 80cm king on plastic (as I was out of bait). Whilst bleeding the fish, I managed to lose it overboard with my lip grippers still hanging from his mouth. Very Dissappointed, but I did have a laugh as my mate did the exact same thing last week.

Good to be out on the yak again, so all good. Just need a new set of lip grippers now.

Seems like the Sydney rats have grown a bit bigger, so good news for us all......

Jeff

First one was solid and took a livie and head straight down. My 30Lb braid which was tied directly to the swivel failed. Never again will I take a short cut and not use any shock leader.

Second livie down, and this time Im guessing a big squid was interested and managed to steal my yakka.

I landed a fat 80cm king on plastic (as I was out of bait). Whilst bleeding the fish, I managed to lose it overboard with my lip grippers still hanging from his mouth. Very Dissappointed, but I did have a laugh as my mate did the exact same thing last week.

Good to be out on the yak again, so all good. Just need a new set of lip grippers now.

Seems like the Sydney rats have grown a bit bigger, so good news for us all......

Jeff

Shame about that Jeff, but that's happened to me also. Never will I ever not use a shock leader now. Braid doesn't knot too well to terminal tackle. Good to hear the bigger ones are finally here or maybe it's because we have been feeding the rats for the last couple of months. :biggrin2:

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

u mean u can't tie the braid directly to swivel? I did it all the time as I dunno how to tie a knot for 2 line to join together. So what's the best proposal to join the leader with braid?

Cheers, Phil

Hi Jeff,

u mean u can't tie the braid directly to swivel? I did it all the time as I dunno how to tie a knot for 2 line to join together. So what's the best proposal to join the leader with braid?

Cheers, Phil

I normally use modified albright. But now will be trying slim beauty - just for a change.

Also if you really want to be super sure, tie a bimini double in the braid first, then the albright.