Broke off the bottom part of the leg on the outboard

DVS7OY

Hi fellow raiders,

I recently took the boat out to Rose bay on a very low tide, when i was dropping the boat in it hit the bottom part of the leg and

broke a small piece off.

I have had the boat out a few times since and have really notice a difference.

Has anyone had the same thing happen to them ?

post-3311-020270800 1297043370_thumb.jpg

not good my friend you might have to square it off and make piece out of alloy and weld ask huey or the brickman (seriously stainless) both site sponsors what they think they will put you in the right direction if possible.

not a big problem to weld a new section on it but the trick will be to keep it straight

it will be easyer to keep it straight by fitting the new section into the existing break[do'nt square it off] as distortion from welding always pulls from a sraight edge its a lot harder for it to pull from a curved edge

our aluminium welder shat it self quite a few month ago and to be honest i just can't justafy the outlay to buy a new one

you will proberly need to remove the leg for the welder as it will need to be shaped and blended after welding

sorry we can't help cheers gary

Hi mate,

I have done the same I had a local welder fix it although I found the piece on my driveway :ranting2:

It took about a week to do as he didn't want put to much heat near the gear box .

Not sure what about making a new piece though.

Cheers

I had the same thing happen to one of my motors and didn't really effect performance or drivability. I sold that boat a year later and hadn't notice any difference in it corroding away. This was on a bass boat with a 225 on the back so you would think you could "feel" it at 70+mph but nothing.

Greg

I've done something similar on my outboard, perhaps slightly smaller peice came off. Its been like that going on 3 years and I have never noticed any issues... I'd just file it a little and get back out there. You won't see or notice it when your using the boat.