Batemans Bay - Clyde River

suttonscurse

post-5584-020207300 1297305365_thumb.jpgpost-5584-045749900 1297305333_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys

After reading of the daring exploits of those intrepid fishraiders , Swordman and Jocobin :drunk: , I decided to set myself up with a 1-2 kg rod and 1000 series reel and try out soft plastics under the Batemans Bay bridge on the Clyde River.

(4lb braid and a 6 lb leader)

Caught a number of small bream and ended up with a 32cm bream and a 53 cm flathead.

One of the local pelicans was "assisting":icon_razz: me in returning small fish to the water (it was actually standing beside me as I fished and patiently waiting to grab them) and we ended up having quite a kerfluffle over who got to keep the flathead :04: He spread his wings wide and opened his beak to try and intimidate me "it almost worked" but I managed to keep the fish for myself.

I also caught a blue swimmer crab which i foul hooked in its rear flipper - Is this a new way of catching crabs - It was very nice cooked up with a cold glass of wine.

Had a lot of fun with the light rod / small reel and will keep persevering with lures - thanks for the motivation guys

regards Bill

Edited by Suttons Curse

Hi Bill

It's good getting down to the lighter gear and given the right location you can land

some big fish on cotton.

Also makes small fish a challenge sometimes.

For a real challenge try some 1 Kg mono pre test it has a breaking strain of 2 lb.

You'll find that 4lb braid will hve a breaking strain approaching 10 lbs.

If you try the 1 kg try it on the sand flats first.

Bruce

good on ya mate for winning over the pelican... i once had a pelican take a freshly cleaned 40cm bream straight of the cleaning table while i was cleaning my fish!!! If you take your eye of them for a second they will have a go...

post-5584-020207300 1297305365_thumb.jpgpost-5584-045749900 1297305333_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys

After reading of the daring exploits of those intrepid fishraiders , Swordman and Jocobin :drunk: , I decided to set myself up with a 1-2 kg rod and 1000 series reel and try out soft plastics under the Batemans Bay bridge on the Clyde River.

(4lb braid and a 6 lb leader)

Caught a number of small bream and ended up with a 32cm bream and a 53 cm flathead.

One of the local pelicans was "assisting":icon_razz: me in returning small fish to the water (it was actually standing beside me as I fished and patiently waiting to grab them) and we ended up having quite a kerfluffle over who got to keep the flathead :04: He spread his wings wide and opened his beak to try and intimidate me "it almost worked" but I managed to keep the fish for myself.

I also caught a blue swimmer crab which i foul hooked in its rear flipper - Is this a new way of catching crabs - It was very nice cooked up with a cold glass of wine.

Had a lot of fun with the light rod / small reel and will keep persevering with lures - thanks for the motivation guys

regards Bill