kings off the rocks

chriswilson

Just a bit of a report for anyone reading or planning a rock session this weekend. I've been fishing pretty hard off the rocks from Avalon to Barrenjoey over the last month with lots of success but kings have seemed to really slowed down this week. Three early mornings this week including today with plenty of yakkas, gar and every lure known and only a few small bonnies to report. Haven't seen anyone else get more than a couple of very small kings. If you've got a boat, hit the harbour or FADs. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Yes your right, we have been hitting the harbour rocks balloonign and only managed one good king to 81cm.

Heap of salmon smashing my yakkas but not much more than that unfortuntaley...

Ill be ballooning again in the morning from 5am with some live yakkas and squid so might report something if the conditions are right

My local spots have have been dead as well bluefishpoint manly & old mans hat manly.The Bonito have dissapeared and the kings ( were the bloody hell are ya ) :fisher::thumbdown:

Hey spinman.

were you at old mans hat yesterday morning (sunday)?

We were on the rocks from 6am till midday without a bite! None of the boats looked like they were catching anything either

Hey Guys you both have mentioned that it has been dead at North Head and Old mans Hat are you referring to all species or just Kings an Bonnies.Did you try fishing for Blackfish and Bream are they biting .Was planning a trip down there.

Cheers Steve

Kings and bonnies - saw some bonnies jumping just after dawn, but they werent taking anything.

There was a guy fishing old mans hat for blackfish. he pulled up 6 in the time i was there. I noticed plenty of weed on the rocks that he put to good use

No that was not me at old mans sunday morning benoz i was there saturday morning & it was dead which did not surprise me considering the catch rate after the full moon generally is not good. Going through my diary over the last 9 years the pattern is very clear bad catches on or 4 days after a full moon have been the norm for the pelagic species.But species such as bream & blackfish are fireing now so i think i will concentrate on those species untill the kings start showing again.

I'm convinced rock fishing is all about the weather...crap weather = great fishing! After posting the original report, I went back out to my local at Whaley last Tuesday in the howling southerly and rain and got 2 bonnies, a big salmon, and a 66cm king all in about 45 minutes on live yakka before the weather got to me and I called it a day. Great fun but not a dry bit of clothing. Oh well, that's fishing I guess, keeps me coming back everytime!