Building A Canoe

bullfrog

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of building a wooden canoe as a winter project with the kids.

Can anyone suggest a company which sells plans, and has anyone on the site ever built one? If so, any advice would be greatfully received.

Cheers,

Hey mate yeah i have built a canoe - a 17 1/2 ft redbird which im preety sure is a canadian design.. The main shell, structure is made out of western red cedar and all the decking and fancy work is from merbau (kwila) with some huan pine thrown in..

It is defiently a big task yet a bloody good feeling once it is finished..

A few facts

-Cost $1,600

-Hrs 300 + (stop counting)

-Get to know a few ppl who dont mind using a staple gun (if using this method)

-Find someone that likes sanding..depending on the perfection on your planking you could be looking up 30hrs just sanding..

I would show u some pics but i deleted them all off my computer and there in my portfolio for the project...

I was lucky enough to have all the moulds allready made up for me through as a friend had previously made 2 canoes from them but mine was the last with them as they where destroyed due to wear n tear so yeah cant really help you out with plans but ill see if i can dig a up fews site that do sell them for you..

Defiently worth a go :thumbup:

Hi Bullfrog,

I have never built a canoe, but I did build my boat :biggrin2:

I got plans from the mob pedro listed. Cost me bout $25 US for the plans, but you can get simple canoe plans for nix. I remember seeing plans for a canoe you could get from 2 sheets of 6mm ply. I will see what I can find.

How handy are you on the tools? The stich and glue method can be/is quick and easy you do not have to make up formers for the hull shape.

alex

Thanks for the replies guys (also thanks for the PM Hooky, I tried to reply but for some reason it couldn't reply to your address).

The American site seems a good option for the plans, quite cheap - even free for a small one (hopefully costs won't run to $1,600 that you had Trouble!)

I am quite handy with tools alexit, but to be honest, I want it to be an opportunity for my kids to say that they built something special for themselves. Even if it doesn't last very long I just want them to have fun constructing it. :1clap: I'd be keen to chase up the company that sells plans for the 2 sheet 6mm ply canoe if you could find them.

Thanks once again :thumbup:

I found those plans I mentioned. They can be found on the bateau website and can be downloaded for....free :biggrin2:

http://www.bateau2.com/free/cheapcanoe.htm

There are some other free plans there too.

You could put that canoe together for less than $300 and done right they are lightweight and strong as.....will last years!

Stitch and glue would be a good way to build with the kids bullfrog as the shape comes together really quickly. If you need any hint sor tips mate just give as a hoy..

alex

I found those plans I mentioned. They can be found on the bateau website and can be downloaded for....free :biggrin2:

http://www.bateau2.com/free/cheapcanoe.htm

There are some other free plans there too.

You could put that canoe together for less than $300 and done right they are lightweight and strong as.....will last years!

Stitch and glue would be a good way to build with the kids bullfrog as the shape comes together really quickly. If you need any hint sor tips mate just give as a hoy..

alex

49264[/snapback]

Many thanks Alex, much appreciated. I'll have a good look at them over the weekend. If we go ahead (which, based on my son's enthusiasm will be a definate!), I hope you won't mind the odd PM over the next few months!

Cheers,

Martin