Botany Bay

Fisheroo

caught these great fighting fish on sunday trolling from outside botany bay heads towards maroubra on a pink skirt.

they were great fun....we lost another two at the boat which were absolute stonkers...

can anyone please confirm what species they are. im not sure if they are bonnies of striped tuna?

how do u salt them up and secondly are they any good on the chew?

Fillet the stripies and cut into pieces that will fit into those plastic containers. (I use old lunchbox or ice cream containers)

Put in a layer of salt, then a layer of fillets, a layer of salt, etc., until the container is full. Put the lid on.

Place the containers in the fridge for a day, then open and pour off any liquid. Repack, and add more salt if necessary to ensure all the fillets are covered. Put the containers in the freezer.

I find they last for ages this way. Not as good as fresh bait, but still effective.

Cheers

Peter

PS Striped tuna are about as good as Sgt Baker and Australian salmon to eat. :thumbdown:

Edited by peterS

Freshly caught ,bled & on ice .If you like sushimi they are the essense of japanese cooking . Cut out the blood line & with fillet knife cut up into thin pieces. With wasabi they & pickled ginger I would rate them better then king sushimi. If you want to cook dont freeze & i only use fresh stripey into cubes onto skewers onto the BBQ & dont over cook or they go tough & rubbery. A nice yogurt ,cucumber & garlic dipping sauce . They taste good .Enjoy !Hornets

pic now added

Good catch of stripies, they don,t rate highly as a bait for me but work great in the crab pots.

I have eaten them raw cut thin in soy sauce & tobasco went down a treat YUMMMmmm.

I have cut the upper section out and cut in small cubes and steamed or fried tastes ok,just take all dark meat off as it's not palatable.

Last year i found the frames etc to be good in the berley pot to bring on the snapper GOOD LUCK on your next troll,you never know what is next on the lures.

chris.

thanks for the feedback Chris...we are planning another trip for this weekend. the weather is looking good in getting out past the heads again so we are hoping that we can land another few for both fun and trying them as Sushimi...

i am still having problems differentiating them from bonito! :wacko:

They could have been in the Bay as well. I took my nephew out for a fish last Sunday. Whilst heading over to the runways around 6am, I decided to through out a lure on a slow troll. My nephew was holding the rod when his arms almost got pulled out of their sockets. Smashed everything except the rod. Next time I think we might go a bit heavier :1prop:

Mick