FAD 14 Fires

Noodles

I'm glad we only bought home half of what we hooked up, otherwise I'd still be out cleaning and filleting fish.

8 dollies to 3 kg and lost / smoked by at least 12 more. Only 1 throwback. One bull (6 kg) lost at the gunwhale after miss hit with gaff.

Also 1 king and 2 striped tuna.

No photos, just fillet and skin. Frames for crab bait tomorrow.

I'm glad we only bought home half of what we hooked up, otherwise I'd still be out cleaning and filleting fish.

8 dollies to 3 kg and lost / smoked by at least 12 more. Only 1 throwback. One bull (6 kg) lost at the gunwhale after miss hit with gaff.

Also 1 king and 2 striped tuna.

No photos, just fillet and skin. Frames for crab bait tomorrow.

Well done! Nothing tastes like a fresh dollie! Which fad were you at?

hey there noodles what was u hooking up with on those dollies

Just pillies mate. Drifting right on top of the FAD. Fishing lightly weighted to keep the birds off the bait and at about 10 - 15 metres.

hi mate i think Noodles was at the FAD off swansea

well done Noodles great report mate :thumbup:

Correct. Swansea FAD.

Reports are that they haven't been there. I've heard that nobody has been doing well at this FAD but I got a big girl 2 weeks ago a small one last week and probably could have caught more had I persisted. BUT yesterday went off.

Me and the FIL got there at about 9.30 towing a lure spread for the 2 stripies and then did a couple of laps and passes for nothing. Decided to do a drift with floaters and we could see a couple of dollies but they were'nt interested at first. Then my line was hit so hard it free-spooled (drag too light) and birds-nested me just enough to let this fish pop the hook. A big fish. 2 minutes later my FIL is hit and this thing just charged straight back to the Bouy, unstopable. Burnt the skin off his thumb trying to thumb the spool. GONE again.

We got nothing for a couple of drifts and I was worried we'd spooked them losing the first 2. Decided on one more drift and this time we let our pillies go down a bit deeper and there they were. From about 11.00am till 1.00pm we didn't stop. Double hookups were common resulting in a few of our lost fish and a couple wrapped us around the FAD rope. Every fish we brought up was followed by his mates all colored up.

The water out there was great. Glassy smooth, no current, and hardly any breeze which made for nice slow drifts, although not that warm at 22.7 C. We are glad we stayed as when we tried a Bottom Bash on the way in the close water was unfishable, sloppy, raging current from the north etc.

So they are there. Just be patient. They were hungry and we could have stayed longer having only used half a block of pillies (pretty crook ones too at that).

Sorry I didn't do photos but we were just interested in getting cleaned up and the FIL had a 1 hour drive to get home.

Forgot to mention single bluefin tuna jumping a couple of times right in front of the boat on the way out. A big fat barrel, probably 10kg plus easy and it was only 20 metres away from us. We had lures out but nothing touched them.