Botany Bay Sesh 06.03.2011

Keflapod

Hello fish raiders and Jim Bream,

Saturday afternoon on the seabreeze website saw me plotting my assault on the bay.

The wind, time and tide was carefully analysed, statistical data from previous trips was extrapolated and an itinerary was prepared for the day.

All gear was checked, packed and extra rods were de-hooked so that I don't have more than 4 rods pre-rigged (fisheries rules).

It was a slick operation in progress.

Then I went and bought insufficient bait !

..but I didn't realise it until the next day of course...

OK - even a well oiled machine has breakdowns - in this case, a mental breakdown !

No matter, everything else went well and what a beautiful day it was.

In the twilight, I heard the little baitrunner go off.

When that first reel screamed, it was a case of "There's always something screaming in my ear - I swapped the wife'n'kids screaming for a reel..." - figuratively speaking of course.

Picking up the little graphite stick and engaging the drag system pulled the rod down hard - drag was a bit too tight but my cat-like reflexes responded with milliseconds to spare...

Cat-like reflexes?, More like catfish-like reflexes as I stepped into a bucket, nearly stepped on a rod with the other foot and almost went overboard as I missed my lunge for a grabrail...

It was more like Mr Bean fishing....

That first fish hit the deck - a nice 32cm bream. It actually did hit the deck as it flipped out of my hand during de-hooking....

I looked around me, expecting a flotilla of boats to come rampaging onto my head, to the tune of the 1812th overture, but no-one was anywhere near me.

Could it be that they couldn't see me?

Of course they couldn't see me - my eyes were closed !

Well that's what my son used to say in a feeble attempt to avoid punishment.

The next worm bait went hurtling through the air and found it's mark on the abyssal 3.1m seabed below.

The faint splashing sound of an early morning swimmer could be heard nearby, but due to the fact it was still twilight, I nearly hurled a lure at him,....

Would have been funny if I hooked up and fought a set of red budgie smugglers....

The next strike was a weird one. Nice run, nice hookup for 0.2seconds then all went limp (I mean the line, not me...). I pulled in the gear to find that the braid was sliced off, a long way above the sinker...

Well after I did a happy-gilmour with my rod on the water (the way he used the golf club on the green after he missed a putt), I settled down and rerigged the gear....

Later, I snagged something that would account for the cut braid...photo attached.

The fish were biting and I was a happy camper until the campfire went out at about 8:00am.

I moved spot and took the chance that I would attract the attention of another dangler.

Fortunately no-one came rocketing over. I could see the usual gamut of lure tossers on the sandflats, some professional, some hopeful and some hopeless.

I would be the latter for sure.

Rods in and I wait 15 minutes. Nothing. I pull out one rod and it's snagged on apparently clean sand.

I thought this was a bit too weird (even for me) and strange bad luck like that had me worried.

So I put the rod down to create some slack line, threw the banana I had over board - just in case, and resumed pulling in the snagged line....

Low and behold, the snag starts coming in real slow !

I pulled in a fist-sized rock with a decent lump of cunje on it !

It was alive (the cunje, not the rock) so somewhere on the seabed at the mouth of quibray bay are cunje beds.

I wonder if there are any drummer down there...

Next two rods to come up had some sleeping thumper whiting sitting on the bait.

These fish were 41cm - 42cm and boy do they put on the fireworks near the boat !

I reckon bonefish are a poor man's whiting....and they go 'round the world looking for them...sheesh !

We gottem in our back yard maaate. We callem elbow slappers and we can actually EAT ours....

It was around this time that it dawned on me that I was chronically under-wormed.

By 10:30ish, I was kicking myself for not buying enough bait.

If I had other people on board, I would have invited them to form a queue so they can kick me as well....

...unless they were wearing groper's pink thongs - then I would keep those guys at arm's length...

But I didn't have anything to worry about because they were all still in Taylor square admiring eachother's costumes...and pink thongs...

Still, it was a nice day, hadn't had a single line cutoff by another boat passing 5m away from me at 30 knots so I couldn't complain too loudly.

I went home with 15 decent bream 28cm to 36cm, 3 whiting 41cm - 42cm and a 42cm flattie...

That's enough....for now...

Tony

post-3021-090358500 1299497547_thumb.jpg

post-3021-056240700 1299497558_thumb.jpg

post-3021-061328600 1299497568_thumb.jpg

An eloquent and anecdotal account of an amusing piscatorial session, Tony. :biggrin2:

Mysterious 'snagging sand', cameo appearances from Happy Gilmour and Mr Bean ... what a day! :074:

Great work as always, mate. A thoroughly entertaining read :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Nice catch Tony, is this report for Jim Bream or you just winding him up with Long drawn out report :074: Come on Jimmy where are ya :tease:

Hey Tony nice report and about time im sick of of looking at the gropers snapper reports lol hey im joking groper. no one is posting bream so i had to rev you to post and a good read it was but you never have to much bait ive had this problem before you just pack up and go home you no for next time im pushing to go this weekend depending on conditions ive only being out twice this summer and if your out there this week i will pull up cut your line or two and say hello i no were to find you. cheers Jim bream

Hey Tony nice report and about time im sick of of looking at the gropers snapper reports lol hey im joking groper. no one is posting bream so i had to rev you to post and a good read it was but you never have to much bait ive had this problem before you just pack up and go home you no for next time im pushing to go this weekend depending on conditions ive only being out twice this summer and if your out there this week i will pull up cut your line or two and say hello i no were to find you. cheers Jim bream

Cut my lines eh?

I'll bring some of my old man's rotten tomatoes (which he grew himself and still thinks are OK to eat) and let them fly.

Yes I'm planning to go out this weekend but the situation isn't good with the moonphase causing low-current movement during the daylight tides.

I don't want to go at night, especially if it's gonna rain...

There still are fish around but I'm having to move a bit to find some

Let me know which day / time you'll be out and we can say G'day...

Tony

Cut my lines eh?

I'll bring some of my old man's rotten tomatoes (which he grew himself and still thinks are OK to eat) and let them fly.

Yes I'm planning to go out this weekend but the situation isn't good with the moonphase causing low-current movement during the daylight tides.

I don't want to go at night, especially if it's gonna rain...

There still are fish around but I'm having to move a bit to find some

Let me know which day / time you'll be out and we can say G'day...

Tony

yes tide big factor that's why ill go night 12.00 o'clock high