Still losing Bearing Buddies

oz_brett

For you guys that read my post "sick of losing bearing buddies" I have a result for you.

DONT BOTHER TRYING IT!

I was lucky enough to save my bearing budy cover with holes in it, the bearing budy is gone and this time because of the cap having some grease in it I have a great mess to clean up from my wheel & tyre :ranting2:

I am now convinced that I am losing then due to wear in the center of the hub from repeatedly removing & replacing both bearing buddies and bearing cone and have now tried a slight burr on the bearing budy.

Brett

For you guys that read my post "sick of losing bearing buddies" I have a result for you.

DONT BOTHER TRYING IT!

I was lucky enough to save my bearing budy cover with holes in it, the bearing budy is gone and this time because of the cap having some grease in it I have a great mess to clean up from my wheel & tyre :ranting2:

I am now convinced that I am losing then due to wear in the center of the hub from repeatedly removing & replacing both bearing buddies and bearing cone and have now tried a slight burr on the bearing budy.

Brett

I would say so mate.

Why are u removing and reinstalling the bearing buddies so often though for it all to be so worn?

I reckon mine would get removed once a year at most. The whole point of having bearing buddies is to avoid frequent changes of bearings due to corrosion from the saltwater. Why not try cleaning the area thoroughly then drying it, and installing them with a bead of silicone. Its still removable albeit with a lot more elbow grease.

Musty

Brett

Had a similar problem with a friends trailer. Fitted a shim between the BB & hub, problem fixed.

If unable to purchase , send me a PM . I think I still have some shim material in the garage but will need to confirm

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Musty: I dont remove them that often Im just trying to work out the reason why I lose one (the same wheel) almost every outing, I replace bearings annually other then that its only replacing when I lose one. Trailer is only 3y/o should have no wear at all considering I had my last trailer 11 years with out this problem.

Geoff; Thank you for your offer, I have no idea what a shim is though I do have loctite in the garage I will give that suggestion a go next.

Brett

Hey Brett, the durahub ones recommend a particular loctite number to use. Im not sure why this is, maybe its more water resistant?? But the one they recommend is really expensive. I bought a tube when I did mine and you only use a small bead around each one, so you're welcome to use some of mine rather than paying a fortune if you choose to use the one they recommend. Not sure where you are located... Im at castle hill and work at Frenchs Forest if either one (or in between) is close to you.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Geoff; Thank you for your offer, I have no idea what a shim is though I do have loctite in the garage I will give that suggestion a go next.

Brett

Brett

A shim is a thin strip of metal that , in your case , fits between the BB & the inside of the hub thereby creating a tight fit.

A word of caution , be carefull which loctite you use as some are designed that once fitted they are not removeable

Geoff

Brett

A shim is a thin strip of metal that , in your case , fits between the BB & the inside of the hub thereby creating a tight fit.

A word of caution , be carefull which loctite you use as some are designed that once fitted they are not removeable

Geoff

Gday Brett, Make sure there is no play in your wheel bearings first, not tight though just nip the nut up on the bearing untill you can just feei movement when you hold the tyre top & bottom and wriggle it. Then use a centre punch and make 6 or so indents around the perimiter of the face of the housing that that holds the bearing buddy, so as to flare the inside face out in those positions which act as a locking tab. Regards Nick