Blackfish Float making workshop

luderick -angler

Right been talking to a few raiders about quality floats for blackies and the lack of in tackle stores and the price! Heres the offer I will offer to run a workshop (venue to be decided) on a weekend to show raiders hoe to make and weight basic rock floats and also make basic pencil floats as well as bodied floats for the harbour[river and hoe to make the shape for the condition. i will provide the materials just want people to register their interest. Class size about 6 a time and I will look do it once every couple months.

Offer is open to those willing to listen and learn no smartmouths or those looking to make a buck selling them ( i know my work well!) this is for raiders who want to save a dollar and learn something lost!

Right been talking to a few raiders about quality floats for blackies and the lack of in tackle stores and the price! Heres the offer I will offer to run a workshop (venue to be decided) on a weekend to show raiders hoe to make and weight basic rock floats and also make basic pencil floats as well as bodied floats for the harbour[river and hoe to make the shape for the condition. i will provide the materials just want people to register their interest. Class size about 6 a time and I will look do it once every couple months.

Offer is open to those willing to listen and learn no smartmouths or those looking to make a buck selling them ( i know my work well!) this is for raiders who want to save a dollar and learn something lost!

sounds great. :)

put me down for hella-keen to come to one of these workshops... ive been wanting to get nto blackfish fishing for sooo long now (due to all those reports of successful days and bagfulls of success)but soo many excuses plague me (including no float among others haha).

post-11324-049130100 1299880899_thumb.jpgGood one Royce. I just made a few ocean floats recently. Mate had a bunch of new, unused champagne corks and we turned them down on his lathe. The high speed sure makes a huge difference compared to my old drill. Couldn't find any cane for the stems, so used tassie oak dowel. You're right when you say the art is being lost. Some of the floats you can buy in shops are just rubbish. Must admit that I have just bought a dozen big, nice floats at far less than I could make them for. Need to try them out in the ocean to see how they perform. Edited by stormy

Okay guys how about election day vote early then we can assemble mid morning I am thinking it will be at my parents cause thats where all the tools are, just need to clear it with mum!

Time I am thinking 11.30am start, if the Sunday is preferred let me know - first six to confirm are in, we can fire up the BBQ and have sausge sangas for lunch!

post-11324-049130100 1299880899_thumb.jpgGood one Royce. I just made a few ocean floats recently. Mate had a bunch of new, unused champagne corks and we turned them down on his lathe. The high speed sure makes a huge difference compared to my old drill. Couldn't find any cane for the stems, so used tassie oak dowel. You're right when you say the art is being lost. Some of the floats you can buy in shops are just rubbish. Must admit that I have just bought a dozen big, nice floats at far less than I could make them for. Need to try them out in the ocean to see how they perform.

I usually source old split cane rods re split them then turn the cane round with a plane or buy a pack of kebab skewers

Well done Royce - that'll get more Raiders into Blackie fishing!!! I tend to make mine these days out of the longest knitting needles that I can find!! I flatten one end with a hammer, drill a hole in it, 'de-bur all edges' to make sure the line won't chafe .... then put a champagne cork at the top & shape it in a drill ....... tie on the top thingo for the line to go thru (out of 200lb steel trace) VOILA!

Have fun, guys! You can be as colourful as you like when painting them up - check out some of Roosterman's!!! :074: :074:

Cheers

Roberta

They have a blackie section in the Forster Fishing Carnival - in Yak division as well as 'estuary'!! :1yikes: So I am dusting off my blackie gear!! :biggrin2:

I usually source old split cane rods re split them then turn the cane round with a plane or buy a pack of kebab skewers

Awesome work putting on a training day for the raiders :thumbup: Guys like you make this joint a great place to learn

Okay can't do it at the intended site I can still get all the stuff what we need if any one has ideas is a community hall or place to meet that is not a residence its getting big! We need to think about this i was thinking Wentworth Park under the viaduct theres water to show how a float should sit and i can do everything except run a power drill but still show how to set it up. Theres also cover from the weather. So all those interested lets set a date for second Saturday of April at Wentworth Park viaduct 11.30am (outside Kauri Hotel on Pyrmont Bridge Road) or there abouts! you will need nothing except patience and keen eyes. a very practical day is promised.

Edited by luderick -angler

Okay can't do it at the intended site I can still get all the stuff what we need if any one has ideas is a community hall or place to meet that is not a residence its getting big! We need to think about this i was thinking Wentworth Park under the viaduct theres water to show how a float should sit and i can do everything except run a power drill but still show how to set it up. Theres also cover from the weather. So all those interested lets set a date for second Saturday of April at Wentworth Park viaduct 11.30am (outside Kauri Hotel on Pyrmont Bridge Road) or there abouts! you will need nothing except patience and keen eyes. a very practical day is promised.

Many of us will be at the Entrance Fishraider Social that Sat. I am sure we can run a second workshop down the track.

This one will be for float making? The second workshop can be for how to catch Luderick perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...