Pumicestone Passage 26/5

Ken A

Its been a while since I had a pre brekky session but this morning I headed around Monash St yet again & waded out in the pre dawn light. I only had an hour available but made good use of it :biggrin2:

I scored a 50cm Flathead shortly after arriving closely followed by a 32cm Bream. Over the next 45 minutes I score 3 more decent bream between 30 & 33cm. Just as the sun was coming up I picked up a nice 37cm Bream (pic below) . I had to head for home then but I was pretty happy with the results. 4 Bream & a nice Flatty.

Do I need to say what I scored them on ? Have a guess :biggrin2:

post-1-1117083735_thumb.jpg

Ah the Passage Master does it again ....

Nice going mate, was going to try and join you in the morn but have to go to court to testify now ... so there goes that plan!

Great pre-brekky session tho Ken, looks like the quality is already there :1yikes:

Bring on the cold weather now :1naughty:

Herby

Nice going mate, was going to try and join you in the morn but have to go to court to testify now ... so there goes that plan

Not missing anything mate cause I won't be there. I'm leaving it alone before the social on Sunday. It would be poor form on my part to flog the place before that. I'll leave it alone for you blokes on Sunday.

I'm heading to Bells Creek in an hours time for a pre brekky.

How many fish are you catching to one SX 40 Ken? they seem to be giving you your money's worth. Nice healthy bream in the pic, going to see if I can tie a fly close to the SX 40, maybe a candy with a short epoxy head and bushy body of chennile and white underbody might be close. Just hard getting the bib action with a fly, although Ive seen in some fly pics some people are adding small bibs.

The best I have done on 1 so far Ken was 87 Bream. It was probably over 100 but I didn't count fish under 30cm. The one that is hanging in Caloundra tackle shop I took 60 Bream on it & the one I lost earlier this week on the crab pot had taken 30 odd fish. If thats not getting bang for your buck what is :biggrin2: I must stress that I am fishing open water with the only obstacles being the odd crab pot. The SX-40's & 48's so far are outfishing all others at around 3 fish to 1. Getting more hook ups & staying connected better with a size 10 on the rear in place of the size 12 too.

Let us know how you go with the fly mate. A tiny bib would probably go well & keep the fly down a little.

I have been using other HB's & SP's as well cause I try to give them all a fair run & not be too biased but I'm at the stage where unless something new comes out I'll just be sticking with SX-40's & 48's.It's hard using other lures getting nothing when you just know swapping back to a 40 will get you hooked up quick smart. I'll be running bug ants & hawgs next week when tides are more suited to SP fishing.

I would have done better this morning except I dropped my lucky red hand wiping rag in the water & lost it :thumbdown::1yikes:

Never got a hit after that :1prop: Luckily I have 3 spares here :biggrin2:

Will have to see where I can get some bibs from, might have to remove one from one of my other lures. The bib would mainly be for the action, which otherwise is impossible for flies to immitate. As far as amount of fish per SX 40, t, hat is certainly value for money, ratio of fish per lure, as they come at $20 plus dollars, so that is about 25 cents per fish, or is my maths out?? Anyhow, that is very economical, almost as cheap as making flies! But not even a fly can last that long, after a session with the tailors, a new fly has just about done its dash.

G'day Ken,

I saw a similar looking lure to the SX 40 down here in one of the shops and it was $25! I thought it was the 40 then later asked if they had any and they said they didnt have them. the 2 local shops down here dont stock them and I heard Swoffa bought out the ones at Ottos, might have to mail order.

As for tying a fly that looks like the SX 40, tried just tying some candies that look similar in colour, as for the bib, I have a book that has them first shaping them with material and then using epoxy, will see how that goes.

I only fish for bream with my mighty Shearwater rod :biggrin2: The mighty StCroix has done me a fine job :biggrin2: I managed a few more with it today :biggrin2:

Those few extra yards casting do make a difference but I'm not going to boast after all it was a social day :1prop:

• 9 years later...