Rod Repair

hatheadheaven

G'day raiders,

Need to pick some brains - the guide on the tip of my little bream rod snapped off recently. As you can see, it's just the guide - the tip is unscathed.

Was wondering if anyone knows of a place near West Pennant Hills that can fix this. I know there's Anglers World at North Rocks, but do they fix these things? Any other places you can think of nearby?

Thanx in advance :thumbup:

Simon

Anglers world or thornleigh tackle should be able to do it for you. You could also do it yourself, just heat the tip with a lighter for a few seconds to melt the glue then slide it off with some pliers. Then glue a new one on with either araldite or some hot melt glue.

Anglers world or thornleigh tackle should be able to do it for you.  You could also do it yourself, just heat the tip with a lighter for a few seconds to melt the glue then slide it off with some pliers.  Then glue a new one on with either araldite or some hot melt glue.

49637[/snapback]

Thanks Bash - didn't think it would be that easy! Thought resins and epoxies would be involved. Might go and see Rudi....

Thanks Bash - didn't think it would be that easy! Thought resins and epoxies would be involved. Might go and see Rudi....

49640[/snapback]

Simon,

Bash is spot on. mini blowtorch/soldering iron type about 5 -6 seconds then pull off tip with pliers(it will be hot) resize a new tip mix small amount of 5 minute araldite or similar epoxy use a tooth pick to put some inside the tip or on the rod and slide the new tip on make sure it is all alligned up and wait till it sets.

Cheers and beers

Treble

G'day raiders,

Need to pick some brains - the guide on the tip of my little bream rod snapped off recently. As you can see, it's just the guide - the tip is unscathed. 

Was wondering if anyone knows of a place near West Pennant Hills that can fix this. I know there's Anglers World at North Rocks, but do they fix these things? Any other places you can think of nearby?

Thanx in advance  :thumbup:

Simon

49636[/snapback]

Out of interest what is the rod? looks like a traverse X??

Cheers

Treble

The thread and epoxy isnt neccessary. The epoxy will give the tip a bit more strength, but the threadwork is completely to make it look good. Normally when you remove the tip, if you are careful enough, the threadwork will remain unscarred and you can just glue the tip back on and it should all look fine.

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't overheat it or you will damage/ destroy the glass tip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pull it straight off, dont twist it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The voice of experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't overheat it or you will damage/ destroy the glass tip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pull it straight off, dont twist it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The voice of experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49709[/snapback]

very true

IF it doesnt come away first time after 5 seconds of heat and pliers it is hard glued on.

IF it is glued on your best just grinding or filing the old pipe frame off. Cut a groove down the length of the pipe and it should peel off pretty easy any excess glue can be sanded or picked off.

Correctly size the new tip by taking the rod to your local store and hot melt glue it back on. Remembering to check alignment with the guides.

A

Edited by allen glover

Thanks all for the great advice :thumbup: Went to Rudi's on Saturday and they hot glued another tip on.

Treble - the rod is a Silstar Hi Graph 6'6". Cost $90 from memory. Beautiful little rod, but I have never held a G loomis or similar in my hand....... Serves me well though for the odd flick around.