Joco & iMick on a mission to catch BASS (NEW PB)

Joco

WELL i had the great pleasure of joining iMick for a flick at our local waters....

Mick promised me a Wild Bass... We were on a mission....

As a result we hit the water early and went to Liverpool Weir....

One cast after next, no results, Mick promised me a bass and the pressure was on....

I must have changed a dozen lures, and all of a sudden BANG, the reel starts screaming....

After a short fight, brining the fish to the surface proved to be tough...

There was a lot of weight...

ALL excited thinking its a BASS, i managed to catch a cracker of a flatty at 55cm.....

A bit disappointing i guess, but still, a fish is a fish..

I guess i was surprised to catch a flatty all this way up the river, where the water is fresh with minimal/no salinity...

Loved the dark colours on that flatty (obviously a local)...

Release to fight another day....

chippingnorton106.jpg

Few casts later, changing my retrieving technique, i get a big hit, the reel goes off and it spits out the lure...

NOOOOOO!!!!

Cast after that in the same spot, once again the reel goes off.

Spat me out again!!! DAMMMMM....

Third cast and it was on, the paddle tail off ALL lures got cracked, the reel screamed, there was a lot of excitement on the boat...

The fish did not want to come to the surface to be netted, kept on going down...

All of a sudden it revealed itself.... Cracker of a bass if you ask me...

It was a BASS, my new PB at 41.5cm.... DIDN'T expect such a big BASS....

Great looking fish...

Caught on a 4kg rod, 1000 reel, 6lb braid....

Release to fight another day...

chippingnorton108.jpg

chippingnorton114.jpg

After that we managed to score a couple more, BUT no where close in size as the first one....

We then headed out to catch some EP & Bream and the occasional Flatties.

We managed to score a good dozen bream and EP's, and half a dozen of flatties...

chippingnorton116.jpg

chippingnorton119.jpg

chippingnorton121.jpg

chippingnorton123.jpg

After that we TRIED our luck with catching some Jewies on plastics....

Working the banks during the LOW TIDE, i knew the odds were against us, since it was sunny...

We managed to find a nice hole, where we must have flicked a dozen times and got smoked on every cast....

Teeth marks left in the plastics, chunks of the lure missing, reels going off, BUT we failed to set the hooks....

On one occasion once we got some shade from the clouds, i got smacked and all excited waiting for that initial run, well that didn't happen, ended up being a flatty

chippingnorton124.jpg

We had a cracker of a day....

BIG THANKS to iMick for a great day out....

HOPE to do it all again soon...

You're welcome mate. Top Bass, what a way to start the morning.

That Paddletail shad you were using was on fire.

Good fishing all-round and good company.... Nice sampling that Serbian spirit too.

Look forward to next time mate.

ahh, nice bass joco and boy dont they go hard, Mick is a great host, and the serbian spirit?? hint of rakija may be the key for the big natives hehe

You might be right Che, Joey gave me a sip, himself a sip, and poured a little bit into the water.... And within half an hour his PB Bass was boated. I've already asked Bane to bring some down to Mulwala.

You might be right Che, Joey gave me a sip, himself a sip, and poured a little bit into the water.... And within half an hour his PB Bass was boated.

:biggrin2: DONT tell everyone my secret.... $70/bottle it better work....

By the way, thanks everyone, i could not have done it without iMick...

Well done! great bass there. very suprised to see a flatty like that at the weir whilst it was running so hard. Would have been fresh as! Must get back to chippo while its firing. Had two dull trips there this season but your post has inspired me!

BTW, I agree that most fisho's (especially the lure orientated ones) would return all fish to the system. In my opinion I wouldn't be eating anything from there anyway, although in saying that all the fish there seem very healthy?

Edited by ARP1980

• 3 months later...

Excellent fish joco! Still trying to pin my first bass from the georges river.. May I ask, was that bass caught on the freshwater side of the weir or georges river side? (Pm if necessary)

thanks, Matt :)

Excellent fish joco! Still trying to pin my first bass from the georges river.. May I ask, was that bass caught on the freshwater side of the weir or georges river side? (Pm if necessary)

thanks, Matt :)

You'll get them on both sides mate, depending on what time of year it is. That one was caught downstream of the weir (see the first pic)

Good luck with it.

Mick

You'll get them on both sides mate, depending on what time of year it is. That one was caught downstream of the weir (see the first pic)

Good luck with it.

Mick

Thanks Mick, looks like a nice spot.

Cheers, Matt

• 2 weeks later...