Fish ID

Captinmorgan

Question

6 answers to this question

I think it's a "numbfish". Also called a coffin ray or numb ray.

If it is, they can give you an electric shock.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks mate,

Just googled it. Lucky i didnt touch it, it can give out a shock up to 200 volts.

Cheers.

Thanks mate,

Just googled it. Lucky i didnt touch it, it can give out a shock up to 200 volts.

Cheers.

yeah mate thats correct. Ive hooked them a couple of times while fishing plastics but i think it maye have been accidental. They look like a dopey sting ray with the tail chopped off dont they? I actually saw a guy take one home for a feed, mind you that particular guy wasnt letting anything go, he caught some great fish though, Balmoral warf many moons ago.

Musty

yeah mate thats correct. Ive hooked them a couple of times while fishing plastics but i think it maye have been accidental. They look like a dopey sting ray with the tail chopped off dont they? I actually saw a guy take one home for a feed, mind you that particular guy wasnt letting anything go, he caught some great fish though, Balmoral warf many moons ago.

Musty

They definetly must love plastics, because the ones iv caught have taken plastics, and that 1 in the photo has a jig head hanging out of its mouth...

Musty

Catching them is not accidental. They feed by giving an electric shock to small fish swimming near them, which stuns the fish and the numbfish swim over the fish and swallow them before the little fish can wake up. The numbfish would see the lure as a small fish and treat it in the same way. I have caught quite a few in Port Hacking over the years, mostly on bait, and some of those on a handline where I have felt the numbfish give the bait a shock. No electric shock up the line, but I could feel a jolt on the line as the bait has been hit with 200 volts.

Yowie.