Spooled 50lb Braid On Daiwa Saltist !

Mr.KingSpooled

Hey Raiders,

I got a small dilemma about my reel. Basically my jew/kings/snapper off the rocks setup is a Daiwa Saltist 6500H Spooled with just under 600m of 50lb Braid, Only problem is Ive actually had to use 2 spools of Braid to get close to filling the spool. So ive got a bit of 50lb mono backing then I have an Allbright knot connecting my braid to mono. After I finish spooling 300m of braid, its time for the 2nd 300m worth. So basically I connect the 2 braids using a Uni Knot to Uni Knot connection and fill the spool as im suppose to.

My issues here are:

a) Even though I got close to 600m still does not completely fill the spool, does this decrease the casting distance cause of the resistance caused between spool rim and line, feels like it does as when I cast feels as if the line is gripping on the spool of the reel !

B) Is it a safe option to be using 2 spools with a uni knot connection on a single spool. Does this effect the strength of the line and also what would be the better options of spooling this reel. e.g. line ? Ammount of Line ? Type of line (pref braid) ? Size of the line spools? Where to go about getting it ?

Thanks in advance raiders, im sure someone will have good knowledge on this situation!!

Cheers,

Jez

a) Yes your casting distance will be decreased if your spool is a bit empty. If it is only a little bit under I wouldnt bother filling it up any more as the difference will be only small.

b)I would say that yes it is a safe option to use the uni knot to join the 2 braids on the proviso that you used enough turns and checked the strength of the knot after you tied it. Yes having a knot will weaken the line in that localised area but the chances of you getting 300m down into the braid to find that knot would be pretty small when fishing for jew/kings/snaper from the rocks. What you have done is fine, it was just a much more expensive way to go about it! 600m of braid is crazy! You would have saved a few bucks by putting on a lot more mono backing and only the one spoll of braid.

a) Yes your casting distance will be decreased if your spool is a bit empty. If it is only a little bit under I wouldnt bother filling it up any more as the difference will be only small.

b)I would say that yes it is a safe option to use the uni knot to join the 2 braids on the proviso that you used enough turns and checked the strength of the knot after you tied it.

Yes having a knot will weaken the line in that localised

area but the chances of you getting 300m down into the

braid to find that knot would be pretty small when fishing for

jew/kings/snaper from the rocks. What you have done is

fine, it was just a much more expensive way to go about it!

600m of braid is crazy! You would have saved a few bucks

by putting on a lot more mono backing and only the one

spoll of braid.

Ok so basically pointless to fill that extra 100m or so on the spool , won't really help much aye !! When it comes to the amount of line it's because I also use this reel on a boat rod for deep sea!! Or still do u reckon 600m is a bit excessive ?

If your worried about deep drops while boat fishing, maybe next time use something like 80lb as backing and 50 as the topshot. It will fill the spool up more because of the thicker line diameter underneath. If your going to do this you can use the braid thats on the bottom now as the top shot. Just use another reel of similar size to wind off your line, put the backing on and then connect your old line and fill the rest up.

IMO if your fishing mega depth where you need 600m of line to hit bottom buy an electric reel!

300m you should be able to comfortably fish 120m water depth, even with boat drift and line angle, 300m will hit bottom or your sinkers to light!

Greg

You can spool that extra roll of braid or on to an empty plastic spool using a battery drill and a clamping tool made from a long bolt , a couple of nuts and a couple of washers, and then the same with the second roll of braid.

Once you pull off the first roll you can approximate how much mono backing you will need, but remember the diameter on the outer spool is greater than the inner spool.

And lastly, I like to leave my braid a a little further in than right on the lip of the spool, the reason being the can be a preventative measure in regards cast knots, that little bit if resistance the lip provides might save you a few knots.

where are you fishing that you need 600mtrs of line??

i spooled up a mates saltist 6500 with 300mtrs of 80lb and the rest was just 80lb mono backing

unless your bottom fishing for blueeye and gemfish you dont need that much line on a reel

And lastly, I like to leave my braid a a little further in than right on the lip of the spool, the reason being the can be a preventative measure in regards cast knots, that little bit if resistance the lip provides might save you a few knots.

Do 6500's throw wind knots?

I only ever get them on small reels fishing very light lures. 3000's and smaller fishing weights less than 1/4ounce. Usually caused by flicking/jigging and winding line in thats not under pressure.

Greg

Well I don't know about the saltist, but I did get wind knots on my sealine bull jerking around 10 inch stick bait, and if you loose your rhythm jigging it could possibly wind on loosely, then the next weekend when you want to take a cast off the rocks, it could happen then, but I wouldn't know for sure if the same would happen to the saltist.

I don't get problems like cast knots, usually casting with the saltist is very smooth n the line doesn't seem to tangle at all. In the time I have had the reel I have only ever had it tangle from casting onces maybe twice but it's a very rare occasion which I'm thankful for, I hate trying to fix big birdsnests. Lol ok I get that I don't need 600m of line !! I read the box the reel came in and said around 600m so I guessed I might aswell fill it up !!! The deepest I have ever fished was 100m and I still never reached the knot on my

reel. So maybe I should take the line off n use it to spool something else ??

If you plan on taking on marlin or any big fish that pulls line continously, then i ould strongly advise upgrading the drag to carbontex washers.

Would that be a job that I could do at home?? Or would I have to take it in shop and get the guys at my tackle shop to put them in. Apparently the saltist come with completely sealed drag compartments so I wouldnt know where to start trying to open it up. Dont think id want to try a task like that on my own ! Are they like heavy duty washers meant for alot harsher use hence why it would be a better option ?

i see alot of people that fish for really big species using mono...on really big reels like the one that okuma makes......might be just for the little bit of stretch needed.......just an idea mr.kingspooled......

I know a charter operator that fishes saltist as his work horses. Jigs kings and chases marlin with them. I have even seen a 300lb blue tagged on a saltist after a 3.5hr fight. Drag still felt smooth....

If you want to fish them for marlin and running braid, use a long wind on leader for stretch and dont fish huge drags (stop pulling hooks). Softly softly and you'll get them up.

Greg

Would that be a job that I could do at home?? Or would I have to take it in shop and get the guys at my tackle shop to put them in. Apparently the saltist come with completely sealed drag compartments so I wouldnt know where to start trying to open it up. Dont think id want to try a task like that on my own ! Are they like heavy duty washers meant for alot harsher use hence why it would be a better option ?

The drag stack should be accessible from under the drag knob, similar to an Abu Soron which has a sealed drag. Check the schematics of the reel and you should see where to access them. Carbonex drags are currently the beez neez of drags, virtually nil "start up" if greased, and in some instances higher drag levels are achievable (carbonex drag in a mates charter special allowed us to push the drag to near 12kg)

in the reel and tackle forum there are some posts relating to carbonex drags and start up inertia, and in my Abu soron stripdown tutorial I have shown how to remove the cover of its sealed drag so you can get the idea.

hi,

is your braid hollow? if it is you can splice the lines together - gives you a 100% join and you will never know its there.

And if you want to get tricky you could use a nub knot inside the hollow line.

If you dont have hollow line (and cant get any) PM me with your address and ill gladly send you enough Jerry Brown line to join your braid.

BTW joining lines like this is really easy and is done almost the same way as making wind on leaders.

ill try and post a few pics with instructions on how to do this a bit later.

Evets

• 2 weeks later...

In most cases you wont actually need 600 metres of line. Ideally lets say if you had 300 metres on your spool. If you actually see your backing then most chances are your not going to land the fish. If your specifically chasing Marlin from the rocks then Id reccommend you getting yourself a decent overhead combo. Well thats my 2 cents anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info guys and what I've basically done is respooled my reel over again!!

So now I'm running a full stack of 300m worth of 50lb mono and top shotted with 300m of 50lb braid!! Spool is nice and full now and casting distance has improved significantly !!! Only problem now is I had my reel on the back of my ute going fishing and a bump put a nick in the spools edge!! Now when the line goes past that point there's resistance !!! Spewing hard !! Oh well might have to order a 2nd spool !! And once I do this I'll be upgrading to carbonex drag washers !!! Anyone know where I can get a another spool from ???

Cheers raiders for all the help and info,

Jez