WESTERLY WINDS

ITZAMARLIN

I HAVE BEEN TOLD DONT GO FISHING AROUND SYDNEY IN WESTERLY WINDS BY QUITE A FEW PEOPLE RECENTLY. THEY RECON THE FISHING IS VERY SLOW IN WESTERLYS ... THE FISH GO TO DEEPER WATER ?????

IS THIS TRUE ?

I JUST WANT TO GET OUT THERE AND GET A MARLIN ?

I HAVE BEEN TOLD DONT GO FISHING AROUND SYDNEY IN WESTERLY WINDS BY QUITE A FEW PEOPLE RECENTLY. THEY RECON THE FISHING IS VERY SLOW IN WESTERLYS ... THE FISH GO TO DEEPER WATER ?????

IS THIS TRUE ?

i dont know about marlin fishing because i am landbased but i have fished around sydney in all conditions and caught decent size fish....i have caught jews on a westerly winds

G'day Mate,

Westerly winds are primarily a wind that blows regularly in the late autumn, winter and early spring.

These times are not considered prime times for marlin.

As browney1 said, be careful if westerlies are likely.

They are unpredictable and can blow very strong, effectively pushing you away from land.

We are in a changeover period at the moment so westerlies will start to kick in soon....

Tony

PS - try writing your posts in lowercase.

Writing in capitals makes people think that you're shouting.

Good luck....

PPS - if you want to get stretched over winter, wait for the big kingis to hit the offshore reefs - not too far to come home if the westerly starts to blow.....

Where i fish (North Head ) i use a westerly wind to my advantage as it gives me the opportunity to fish in relative safety without the heavy white wash which is what bream prefer.In these conditions i can also fish those in close shallow rock shelves that extend outward from the main plattform & areas were water washes up a plattform & funnels back in a specific.This allows me to keep a unwaighted bait in the strike zone with ease.Useing this method you can catch excellent bags of bream in a short period as for offshore fishing i cant comment as i fish landbase only and have caught bream,drummer.silvers,blackfish,and plate snapper in westerlys providing there is some white water & burley is used to switch fish into feeding mode.

IS THIS TRUE ?

Fish will tend to migrate

I love wash fishing and a W wind will flattennthe seas out.

Unfortunately by Friday it will be 4 days of flat seas, not sure how the fishing will be.

Sorry to hear that guys but if you have a westerly just fish harder and smarter but at least the seas are flatish and a enjoyable ride especially with alley boats, bring on the westerly for friday.

Cungeee George I am looking forward to be being able to fish my boat without sea sickness. Might try for some red and flat head tomorrow. I tell you what if I get sick tomorrow with a 0.2m swell I am retiring the boat.

Cungeee George I am looking forward to be being able to fish my boat without sea sickness. Might try for some red and flat head tomorrow. I tell you what if I get sick tomorrow with a 0.2m swell I am retiring the boat.

Nikon,

If you haven't been out for a while, you are more prone to seasickness.

Practice out there will make it perfect.

I get seasick but I spent 3 months fishing regularly with a commercial fisho.

After a week fishing every day, I was able to endure pretty horrible conditions.

You need to spend some time out there, bit by bit until you develop a resistance.

Don't just think that if it's calm and you get a bit sick, that you will never manage it.

It's better to start with smaller swells and work your way up......

Tony

Not all of us are as fortunate to able to fish deep seas, Lucky Boy.

Went out to Heatons on Thursday (about 50 miles out)the wind coming from the west/southwest, was good going out but a little bumpy on the way back in. Found plenty of bait but no Blues or any Yellowfin, thats fishing. Give it another go Monday

Cheers Silvo