mooring

waldo60

fellas, had some great help on here before, might sound stupid but here goes.

Im going overnight on the hawkesbury next friday night, wanna use one of those public moorings etc then fish on sat, anyways Ive never looked at how to attach to a mooring, do i just get the mooring rope and hook up with a rope on my boat tied to my anchor point ??

Question 2, I eventually when financial controller releases more cash would like a battery switch and an extra battery but for the firt few times, u reckon i could just use my car battery as a back up need to start this mo fo engine in the morning. I guess mooring im gonna need nav lights etc on all night and not sure how good of condition my current battery was as it was my dads boat.

cheers raiders.

Some of those public moorings in Cowan Creek have rather thick ropes on them. If they havent been run over or damaged they usually have a ~2m long rope with a 15-20cm diameter eye (loop) spliced on the end. You can drop this over your front anchoring point if your bollard or cleat is large enough. Wind some of your own rope over the top if your worried about it "popping off" while you are asleep. It not suggested you moor from the side or stern.

Those moorings are popular. You cant always get one. The tieing up isn't rocket science, you will work it out.

Re the battery and lighting issue. Technically while moored or anchored you only need one white light which is visible unobstructed 360 deg all around your boat. No need to have the red and green's on unless you are underway or drifting. If your round white light happens to be a LED then it will draw very little power. Take your car battery as long as it doesnt cause any issues with central locking or remotes etc. Better than getting stuck on the water. The car alarm may not work. but at least no one can start your car.

Rod

if you're on a mooring you do NOT need ANY lights on overnight. Moorings are a fixed hazard that are displayed on boating maps and other skippers need to be aware of them.

On many waterways in NSW, areas are set aside

for the mooring of vessels. These vessels are not

required to be lit at night and the masters of

other vessels must be aware of the location of

such moorings.

However if you miss out on a public mooring and you set an anchor then you MUST display an all round white light from sunset to sunrise. You don't need other nav lights, they are only to be used when underway or drifting.

A backup battery is well advised just in case, but you should make sure the primary has enough juice to run the lights all night!

if you're on a mooring you do NOT need ANY lights on overnight. Moorings are a fixed hazard that are displayed on boating maps and other skippers need to be aware of them.

However if you miss out on a public mooring and you set an anchor then you MUST display an all round white light from sunset to sunrise. You don't need other nav lights, they are only to be used when underway or drifting.

A backup battery is well advised just in case, but you should make sure the primary has enough juice to run the lights all night!

yeah fair enough, just not sure how to measure the juic, the old amp/battery meter comes up to like 11 or 12 but whos know what this is , or if its accurate. thanks for ya help guys on the mooring, its what i thought but i still appreciate it . i think i might buy a new battery and some sort of switch etc, does anyone recommend one.