2 Rock Fishermen drowned today in Syd Harbour

On Strike

Okay to make it simple this is how big it was I went to a usual big southerly swell haunt looked at it went great its fishable waited 10 - 15 mins and in that time two large sets came through no consistency in the sets size

so true

when i saw this news report it looked so calm on the rocks, and i was thinking "middle head" isnt that a sheltered spot.

Just to prove how big it got - 2 days in a row that harbor jet boat has been on the news. 2 days in a row its slammed into a freak massive wave and caused some serious looking kneck injuries to passengers...

this debate happens almost every time a tragic accident happens. Its not the 1st time and sadly it wont be the last. The only way to stop it, is to ban the sport but i hope it wont come to that, because fact is - rock fishing is impossible to police or regulate with the current lack of funds. Educate and hope the message gets through !

it kind of reminds me of tourists when i watch Bondi rescue. They have no idea of the dangers but in they go

Whats wrong with manual inflatable life jackets?

That way, there's a chance you can get clear before you inflate it. If you can't swim, you can still inflate it and hope you don't get pushed back into the rocks.

They could change the law and make it compulsary to wear one of these and if you don't, and you're caught, whack a big fine on it.

Ignoring the cost to the families and loved ones (which is the biggest cost anyway), but if they consider the cost of the rescue/recovery v's the cost of employing a few inspectors to patrol the regular spots (and Im not a rock fisherman but there must be popular rock fishing spots) it's got to be cheaper.

Sure there are always going to be people that flaunt it. Even today you see people not wearing a seatbelt in cars, but eventually the message will get through, or at least they will know they risk a huge fine if they are caught without one.

Anyway, it's early, so I hope this made sense!

I was fishing with LA at Lady Jane and actually spotted the helicopters hovering, but the swell was so big I didnt imagine that anyone would be that stupid to fish there in those conditions. I feel for the families but at some point we have to be left to pay the price of our own choices we are over-policed as it is, in every area of our lives....

Whats wrong with manual inflatable life jackets?

That way, there's a chance you can get clear before you inflate it. If you can't swim, you can still inflate it and hope you don't get pushed back into the rocks.

They could change the law and make it compulsary to wear one of these and if you don't, and you're caught, whack a big fine on it.

Ignoring the cost to the families and loved ones (which is the biggest cost anyway), but if they consider the cost of the rescue/recovery v's the cost of employing a few inspectors to patrol the regular spots (and Im not a rock fisherman but there must be popular rock fishing spots) it's got to be cheaper.

Sure there are always going to be people that flaunt it. Even today you see people not wearing a seatbelt in cars, but eventually the message will get through, or at least they will know they risk a huge fine if they are caught without one.

Anyway, it's early, so I hope this made sense!

Nothing wrong with them at all PFD are great saved my life on the Mohaka River when swept of my feet by flow of the river crossing it yet I was conscious and aware to inflate it on the rocks they are useless if your headslammed into a ledge and knocked out! As said PFD's are great as long as your conscious to activate them!

Funny, people said the same thing about seatbelts in cars years ago...

Sorry mate, I disagree, lifejackets will do more harm than good. In cars I see the logic of seatbelts, lifejacket on rocks. NO, that does not work for me! We will see more dead people!

Sincere condolences to the family and friends or the fishermen.

Also feel that education will be safer, than to fish from rocks with any live jacket.

We have some of the most dangerous, rocky fishing spots along our cost . With very bad sea, most fishermen will rather go fish from surf ,than risk it on the bad rocks .

When one get to the rocks . Any one can see if the sea is bad with huge swell/waves. Then decide to fish is just a matter of common sense.

I fish the rocks all the time and see many stupid things happen. It is mainly the Asian and Middle Eastern folks who come down in groups, who have no clue about the things that can happen when water pours over the rocks. Some listen when I speak to them and try to tell them the dangers of rock fishing, as well as the rewards, but most just glare at you and get agressive. They cast out three or four rods each and jam them in crevises etc, then run around when a rod bends over. They nearly always leave bunches of line, hooks and plastic bags etc lying in rock pools.

Education is the primary factor in reducing incidences and fatalities. Also, there is zero policing of rock fishing locations. I have called fisheries a number of times to report incidents which are serious enough to warrant it, only to get recorded messages. NPWS rangers have also been called, when a group of 'fishos' started chopping great holes in the sandstone to place their battery of rods. Nothing gets a response. Someone sitting in an office makes a decision regarding the mandatory wearing of lifejackets on the rocks and receives a bonus for their ingenuity. More earnings for stores and taxes are generated and nothing will change. People will still get washed in and drown. Few if any will wear jackets off the rocks and it will not/can not be policed effectively.

If anyone ever watches Bondi Rescue, take a look at the people who are being rescued and how they think it is funny. Often they are back in the water before the lifeguard turns his back. If someone is rescued due to stupidity or arrogance, then make them pay a monetary fine for their actions. Accidents will and do happen and tragedies occur. Having worked for many years in the Water Police, I have had a lifetimes share of tragedy and misery when dealing with family of those who have lost loved ones due to drowning. I have had people, like the ones last week, who have jumped into deep water in an attempt to save a family member and who couldn't swim a stroke. Human behaviour, and two lives lost. Lifejackets for rock fishermen is not the answer in my opinion. EDUCATION and understanding is the key, along with that ever diminishing commodity, COMMON SENSE.

Edited by stormy

A life jacket is just a device that may help in a nasty situation. As others have said they may also be a hindrance but on the balance I think they are a benefit which is why I personally wear one when I think things are a bit dicey.

Mind you, making wearing them mandatory is just not going to work because you can't police them and for some people they may not be ideal. The fact is if you really think you'll use the life jacket by the end of the fishing session, or you're wearing swimmers because you know you'll go for a swim then you shouldn't be fishing there. The life jacket should be at best used as a safety device for that one in a million situation where you're knocked off the rocks and unable to swim for whatever reason (injured, unconscious, etc). Not many people are going to be bowled over by a wave big enough to put them in the water without having an injury thats bad enough to affect their swimming... However, when the odds of you using one is much greater than that you really need to reconsider fishing that location at that time in the first place...